As soon as these muffins appeared in my Google Reader, I knew that I had to make them right away. I think it was the name, Peaches n’ Cream, that especially called to me. It reminds me of the instant oatmeal packets that I sometimes had for breakfast as a child; peaches n’ cream was always one of my favorite flavors.
I like how this recipe combines a cinnamon-flavored muffin, sweet peaches, and a creamy cream cheese filling. A cinnamon sugar topping adds the perfect finishing touch. As I type this, I am enjoying one of these muffins with a cup of tea- the perfect way to spend an early fall afternoon!
Peaches n’ Cream Muffins
Makes 6-8 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
Cream cheese filling:
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Cinnamon-sugar- for sprinkling on muffins before baking
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon. Whisk in the sugar.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix canola oil, egg, milk, and vanilla together. Use a fork or whisk to combine well.
- Incorporate the wet ingredients into the flour mixture. Add slowly and gently stir, do not over mix. The batter will be thick. Carefully fold in the peaches.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese, lemon zest, sugar and cinnamon. Mix until creamy and smooth. Fill each muffin cup halfway with batter, add a small spoonful of the cream cheese mixture, and then cover the cream cheese with the remaining batter. Sprinkle each muffin with cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Remove muffins from the pan and cool completely on a cooling rack.
Recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod