These delicious little muffins are surprisingly healthy. Low in sugar and butter, and full of good-for-you bananas and cinnamon, these muffins are a smart choice when you need a fast, portable breakfast. Just add a piece of fruit or a glass of milk and you’re ready to begin your day.
The mashed bananas in the batter provide most of the sweetness you need, plus the fruit takes the place of some of the butter that you would normally need in a muffin (similar to the way applesauce is sometimes substituted for some of the butter or oil in baked goods). Banana Cinnamon Muffins are a treat that you can feel good about enjoying.
Banana Cinnamon Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin tin or line with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat. Mix in the mashed banana. Stir in the milk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended.
- Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin cups and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container at room temperature or in the freezer.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.