It had been a while since I’d made homemade pita bread, so when my sister, Karen, told me about this recipe for a Mediterranean spice rubbed chicken, and mentioned how she served the chicken in pitas, I knew I wanted to try it for myself soon. We enjoyed the meal so much, I put it on the menu for Father’s Day the next weekend.
We had a relaxing Father’s Day get together with family at our house yesterday. I made whole wheat pitas and Brad grilled this Mediterranean chicken. We set up a make-your-own pita station on our kitchen island, so that everyone could choose how to fill their own pita. The options included the chicken, cucumber, tomatoes, kalamata olives, avocado, and Greek yogurt. I filled half of my pita with everything, and the other half with just vegetables and yogurt. The vegetarian pita was just as delicious as the one with the chicken. I’ll have to remember that for an easy meatless meal in the future.
For dessert, I made a fresh strawberry pie that was just amazing. Think perfectly ripe organic strawberries from the farmer’s market in a flaky homemade pie crust, topped with a dollop of whipped cream. Yum oh yum. I’ll be sharing the recipe soon!
One year ago: How to Roast Bell Peppers
Mediterranean Chicken in Pitas
Makes 8 servings
- 1 1/2 tbsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 8 whole wheat pitas
- Greek yogurt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- avocado slices
- kalamata olives (optional)
- Combine rosemary, cumin, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl. Place chicken in a baking dish and rub spice mixture onto chicken. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Grill chicken until cooked through, then set aside to rest for 10 minutes before chopping into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice each pita in half and then carefully slice to form a pocket. Spread some Greek yogurt inside each pita and then fill with the chopped chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, and avocado. Serve immediately.