At first glance, I wasn’t too sure about this recipe. But then I realized this is a burger… with cheese inside of it. Melty cheese throughout a chicken burger patty, plus guacamole? That was enough to convince me to give these a try, and I’m so glad I did. I made these chicken burgers twice in just over two weeks, because I couldn’t wait to eat them a second time. Besides the cheddar, the burger patties are seasoned with lots of other great things- including onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice.
These burgers are jazzed up with tons of flavor, but the meal still comes together easily. If you have time, bake some homemade buns to serve these on. A great burger is made even better when it’s sandwiched in a homemade bun. Make up a batch of baked sweet potato fries, and dinner is done!
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
Cheddar Jalapeño Chicken Burgers with Guacamole
Makes 5-6 burgers
For the burgers:
- 1 ½ lbs. ground chicken
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, cored, and minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. paprika
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grates to prevent the burgers from sticking. To make the burgers, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix lightly, just until evenly combined. Form the mixture into 5-6 patties.
- Cook the burgers on the heated grill, 3-4 minutes per side, flipping once. A few minutes before the burgers are done, top with sliced cheddar cheese. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165 degrees F. Remove the burgers to a clean plate and let rest a few minutes before serving. Assemble with burger buns and guacamole.