As my due date approaches, my nesting instinct has kicked in, compelling me to organize, clean, and do other tasks around the house to get ready for baby. Maybe what they call nesting is real, or maybe it’s just a myth, but either way, over the past few weeks I’ve felt the need to clean out the refrigerator and freezer, organize my desk, update my photo albums, make sure my recipe binder is up-to-date, and keep the house clean and tidy. And that doesn’t include all of the getting-ready-for baby tasks that I’ve enjoyed doing, especially washing, folding, and putting away all of those cute little clothes, washcloths, blankets, and burpcloths. How come laundry is so fun when it’s in preparation for a new little bundle?
Besides cleaning and organizing, I think the nesting instinct is also making it really hard for me to resist baking. For someone like me who loves to bake, and share the treats I bake on the blog, there’s only so long I can hold out before I have to get into the kitchen. I chose this recipe because it makes small, portion-controlled muffins with some pretty healthy nutrition facts.
These muffins are made fully with whole wheat flour, have only 1/3 cup of sugar for all 12 muffins, and use very little butter. The muffins are loaded with banana flavor and are super moist, thanks to the banana and applesauce in the batter. A few dark chocolate chips are mixed in, too, and we’ve all heard how good dark chocolate is for you, right? 😉
One year ago: Meatball Sliders with Basil Pesto
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 3 ripe medium bananas
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 oz. (about 1/3 cup) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
- Mash bananas in a bowl and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Add the egg and beat at medium speed. Add banana, apple sauce, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until well combined. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and blend at low speed until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips; do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source: Slightly adapted from Skinnytaste.