Post updated 10/30/15 with new photos and an updated recipe and description.
This Honey Sesame Chicken is incredibly quick and easy to prep, and then your slow cooker does the rest!
The busy holiday season is beginning, and it’s sure to bring plenty of fun activities as well as extra long to do lists. At this time of year, I want to spend my kitchen time baking holiday cookies, rather than cooking involved dinners. Using my slow cooker helps me to do just that. I can spend a few minutes prepping dinner earlier in the day, and then my evening cooking is so much easier.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
I’ve made this honey sesame chicken more times than I can count, and I’ve adapted the recipe over the years to perfect it and make it a bit healthier. Below you’ll find the version that I always make now.
You can make this Crock Pot Honey Sesame Chicken with chicken thighs or breasts; I usually use chicken breasts because my family prefers white meat, but both will turn out equally well. If you use chicken thighs, be sure to trim off any excess fat before cooking.
I like to serve this Honey Sesame Chicken with my favorite brown rice and either roasted carrots or roasted broccoli. This recipe is a crowd pleaser, and one that both kids and adults will love.
And, because I’m betting that you need even more easy meals in your repertoire, here’s my favorite 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Recipe (which I’ve only made about a billion times), and my tried and true Easy Slow Cooker Lasagna Recipe!
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ tbsp. sesame seeds
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Cooked brown or white rice, for serving
- Place chicken in slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine onion, garlic, honey, ketchup, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, leaving sauce in the slow cooker. Shred chicken into bite-sized pieces; set aside and cover to keep warm.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in ⅓ cup water; add to slow cooker. Stir to combine with sauce. Cook sauce on high for ten minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- To serve, place cooked rice on each plate and top with chicken. Spoon some of the sauce over the chicken and rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped scallions. Enjoy!