Looking for a fun and tasty appetizer that won’t keep you cooking in the kitchen and away from your guests? These Italian Sausage Skewers can be prepared a few hours in advance and then stored in the refrigerator, making them an ideal appetizer for entertaining.
Fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella are a classic combination, and these skewers are made even better with the addition of Italian sausage and kalamata olives. Delicious flavors and a beautiful presentation make these Italian Sausage Skewers a perfect choice for your next celebration.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
Italian Sausage Skewers
Makes 24 skewers
- 8 ounces Italian-style chicken or turkey sausage
- 24 boconccini (small fresh mozzarella balls)
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- 24 grape tomatoes
- 12 pitted kalamata olives, cut in half lengthwise
- Twenty-four 6-inch wooden skewers
- Cook the sausage according to the package directions and cut it into 1-inch-thick rounds. Cut the basil leaves lengthwise into thirds.
- Place a mozzarella ball about 1/3 the way up a skewer. Place a sausage slice at the end of the skewer behind the mozzarella.
- Working from the other end of the skewer, add one strip of basil, folding so it fits nicely on the skewer. Follow with one tomato and an olive half. Repeat with remaining skewers and ingredients. The skewers may be prepared several hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger