Happy New Year Everyone! I am excited to begin a new year and can’t wait to see what 2014 will bring. I try not to make too many specific resolutions at the beginning of a new year, because I’d rather focus on developing balance in my life that is sustainable long-term. I do spend some time at the beginning of each new year thinking about goals and this year is no different.
This year, I am taking a different approach and plan to focus on a guiding phrase. My phrase is: Simplify and Breathe. I have been doing some of reading about organization and living more simply, and I’m currently reading the book Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider. I’m only at chapter 4 so far, but this book is helping me to reflect on how to put more focus on the important aspects of my life and let the others go.
For me, Simplify and Breathe means that I will:
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
- Organize my home and reduce clutter by donating or tossing things that we don’t use and that just take up space.
- Think carefully about how I use my time to ensure I am putting focus on my highest priorities- my family, my family’s health, and my personal growth and creativity.
- Work on not being overwhelmed by the number of tasks that I think need to be done- some of them I can let go, and the important will get done. When I feel overwhelmed, I’ll take a deep breath, and allow things to come into focus.
A new year, a fresh, new beginning! I’m excited, how about you?
If you are trying to live a little more healthfully now that the holidays are over (aren’t we all?), then adding more greens to your diet is a good place to start. This kale salad is lightly dressed with a lemon-parmesan dressing, and topped with some toasted pine nuts for crunch and flavor. The next time I make this salad, I plan to add some avocado as well.
I like making kale salads because the leftovers are usually even better the next day. You know how most dressed salads turn soggy the second day? Not kale salads. The dressing continues to soften the tough kale leaves, making for a great second-day lunch.
Lemon-Parmesan Kale Salad with Pine Nuts
Makes 4 servings
- 1 bunch kale
- Small clove garlic
- 2 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¾ oz (1/3 cup) pine nuts
- ¾ oz. (about ¾ cup) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for topping the salad
- Cut kale leaves off of stalks; discard stalks. Chop leaves into strips and wash thoroughly in a bowl of cold water. Dry kale and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- On a cutting board, mince garlic and then sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Use a fork or the side of a chef’s knife to mash the garlic and salt into a paste. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice, honey, white wine vinegar, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of pepper to the bowl with the garlic. Whisk until well combined. Pour the dressing over the kale and use your hands or salad tongs to evenly distribute the dressing. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, and up to 24 hours. During this time the dressing will help soften the kale leaves.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a small skillet over low heat. Watch them carefully; they are done when they are fragrant and just beginning to turn golden. Transfer pine nuts to a small bowl and set aside.
- Right before serving, add the freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano to the kale and toss to mix well. Serve salad topped with toasted pine nuts and Parmesan shavings.
Source: Kristine’s Kitchen original recipe.