Ever since I first made this recipe a little over a month ago, it’s appeared on our weekly menu pretty much every week. There is so much to love about this dish, that I think you’ll understand why. First, there are the roasted vegetables. I know I’ve said it before, but roasting vegetables really does bring out the best of their flavors. Second, there is the goat cheese, one of my favorite ingredients these days. Third, we have grilled chicken and whole wheat pasta for some healthy protein and whole grains. Fourth, it is pretty simple to put together, especially if you have a husband who will grill the chicken for you. 😉
The first time I made this, I stayed with the recipe below and used roasted zucchini and onions. Since then, I’ve also added other roasted vegetables to the mix, including mushrooms and asparagus. Broccoli is also delicious roasted and would be a great addition. This roasted vegetable pasta is a complete, balanced meal that may just become a staple in your home, too.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
Roasted Zucchini Pasta with Grilled Chicken
Makes 4 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Goat cheese (or Feta), to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through. Set aside to rest for a few minutes, then slice into pieces.
- Meanwhile, roast the vegetables. Place zucchini, onion, and garlic on a large rimmed baking sheet. Toss with 3 tbsp. oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until zucchini is lightly browned, turning once, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid before draining the pasta. Return pasta to pot. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil; cover and set aside.
- Stir the roasted vegetables into the pasta.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and the sliced grilled chicken, and stir over medium heat until heated through.
- Stir in Parmesan. Toss, adding reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten if dry. Taste, and adjust seasonings. Serve topped with crumbled goat cheese.
Source: Adapted from Ezra Pound Cake, originally adapted from Bon Appetit.