This Summer Grilled Corn Salad is full of avocado, black beans, and Cotija cheese, along with a chili-lime Mexican dressing. It’s the perfect side dish for all of your summer barbecues!
This post is brought to you in partnership with REAL® Seal. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I made this salad hoping that it would be an easy, yummy side dish for the summer. I underestimated this Summer Grilled Corn Salad, though. I thought it would be good, but it is goood. So good that Brad and I ate the whole bowl in two days, and wished we had more!
I’ll now be making this salad any chance I get, and it will for sure be making an appearance at our family’s 4th of July celebration. This Summer Grilled Corn Salad has now taken the #1 spot as my favorite summer side dish, closely followed by this Southwestern Pasta Salad and these Grilled Vegetables in Foil Packets.
I shouldn’t have been so surprised at how much we loved this, considering that it starts with grilled corn – yum! – and ends with a homemade chili-lime Mexican dressing. In between are a few of my other favorite ingredients, including avocado, black beans, and cheese.
To bring out the Mexican flavors in this grilled corn salad, I added Cotija cheese crumbles. I love cheese, and I especially like to add it to salads because it adds a ton of flavor. June is National Dairy Month, and what better way to celebrate than with a summer salad topped with cheese?!
When I looked for the Cotija cheese in my grocery store, I was happy to see that it was marked with the REAL® Seal stamp. The REAL® Seal lets you know that the dairy product you see is made from real dairy from cows on U.S. dairy farms. REAL® dairy brings the best in taste and quality to the foods that we prepare and enjoy. The REAL® Seal Facebook and Pinterest pages are full of ideas for using REAL® dairy in your kitchen, so be sure to click through and follow for new tips and recipes!
To grill the corn for this recipe, I removed the husks and silks, wrapped it in foil, and grilled it over medium heat for 15 minutes. It couldn’t have been any easier, and if you haven’t tried grilling corn, you need to asap!
- 4 ears fresh corn
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Heat grill to medium heat. Remove husks and silks from corn; rinse and pat dry. Wrap each ear of corn in foil and grill for about 15 minutes, until tender when pierced with a knife, turning every 5 minutes. Let stand wrapped in foil for 5 minutes. Unwrap carefully as the corn will be very hot. Let cool.
- While the corn cools, make the dressing. Whisk together all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once corn is cool, carefully use a sharp knife to slice the kernels off the cob. Place corn kernels in a large bowl.
- To the bowl with the corn, add the black beans, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, and cilantro. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Stir in the Cotija cheese and serve.
Why you’ll love this grilled corn salad:
- It is ridiculously easy to make.
- It’s healthy and vegetarian.
- You can make it ahead (just add the avocado right before serving).