Baked sweet potato rounds, crispy kale, and tangy goat cheese make this Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza totally crave-worthy.
You guys. This pizza. It is sooo good. You don’t believe me? Yes, it’s covered in sweet potatoes and kale. But have you ever tried baked sweet potato rounds? How about baked kale chips? Roasted red onions? These are the things vegetable dreams are made of. (And no, I don’t really dream about vegetables. At least not while I’m asleep.) Did I mention the goat cheese yet? Almost everything is better with goat cheese.
Learn more about my Time-Saving Healthy Family Meal Plan.
If I had to choose a favorite pizza right this very second, this would be it. Before making it, I wouldn’t have thought that could be, but it is. The sweet potatoes and onions are sweet and caramelized. The kale is crispy and melts in your mouth. (Even Julia couldn’t stop eating the kale.) Each part of this Sweet Potato and Kale Pizza combines into an amazing cheesy baked pie. Make this. And then share some with me, okay?
- 1 small sweet potato, sliced into thin rounds
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 ball whole-wheat pizza dough
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 ½ cups kale, removed from stalks, washed, dried, and chopped
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potato rounds, onion slices, and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, and a sprinkling of black pepper. Place in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, turning once halfway through, until the vegetables just begin to brown. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees and place a pizza stone inside to preheat for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a 12 to 14-inch round and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush dough lightly with olive oil and top with an even layer of mozzarella. Spread the sweet potato and onion slices evenly over the cheese; top with kale. Sprinkle a small amount of freshly grated black pepper over the kale, followed by the Parmesan cheese. Crumble the goat cheese over the top of the pizza.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees. Slide the pizza and parchment onto the preheated pizza stone in the oven, and bake pizza for 9-12 minutes, until cheese and crust are golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes before slicing and serving.