Mmmmm scones. Nothing goes quite so perfectly with a morning cup of coffee as a buttery, flaky scone. These Citrus Scones have it all- a flaky texture, hints of citrus, and a sweet lemon-lime glaze. Writing about them right now as I drink my morning cup of coffee, I really wish that I had one sitting here on a plate next to me, just waiting for me to nibble on.
These scones would be perfect to serve if you were having guests over for brunch. I would round out the menu with a colorful fruit salad and mini frittatas, and enjoy it all outside in the fresh air, if the weather was cooperative. Next time I make these, I think I will cut them smaller, possibly even making mini scones. Mini scones would be just-right for brunch, or an afternoon snack, or dessert… I think I will be picking up some lemons soon because I just cannot wait to make these Citrus Scones again.
Makes 8 large scones, or you can cut them smaller
For the scones:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), cut into 1/2-inch cubes and chilled
- ¾ tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the icing:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Juice of one lemon, juice of one lime
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the pieces are the size of small peas. Add the zest and buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, form the dough into a 1-inch thick circle and cut it into sections like pie pieces.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the scones just barely begin to brown. Cool completely.
- Whisk icing ingredients together in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle icing over cooled scones.
Recipe: Barely adapted from Pinch of Yum.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!