Healthy 7 Layer Dip
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Healthy 7 Layer Dip is a flavor-packed appetizer for snacking on while watching the big game, at your next party, or anytime!
This healthy 7 layer dip recipe is my new favorite meal/snack/everything.
This bean dip recipe is the perfect thing to eat while watching the big game. There’s so much flavor in this Healthy 7 Layer Dip, thanks to all of the different layers and my homemade enchilada sauce. With some tortilla chips for dipping, you’ll be glad this dip is healthy because you’ll be going back for seconds for sure! Add my homemade guacamole and salsa recipe and your tortilla chips are covered!
This dip isn’t just game day food, either. We’ve eaten this for both lunch and dinner. Dip your tacos in it, garnish your quesadillas, stuff it in enchiladas.
For this healthy twist on the classic 7 layer bean dip, we start with a layer of mashed sweet potatoes which I steamed but you could also cook them whole in your Instant Pot using my Instant Pot sweet potatoes recipe.
On top of the sweet potato layer we have black beans, and then quinoa. Then there’s the homemade enchilada sauce. Oh the enchilada sauce. It’s so much better than salsa, and my homemade enchilada sauce is a must-make but quality canned sauce will do in a pinch.
Next, there’s a layer of seasoned Greek yogurt, which is a perfect healthier stand-in for sour cream. Some shredded cheddar cheese and green onions are the final toppings in this appetizer.
Gameday food often includes lots of not-so-good-for-you things, but this healthier options will be a delicious hit, or a goal, or a touchdown.
Healthy 7 Layer Dip
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups sweet potato cubes: peel and chop sweet potato into 1-inch cubes about 1 large sweet potato
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups enchilada sauce I prefer homemade, or store bought
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- tortilla chips for serving
Cook the sweet potatoes:
- Start a pot of water boiling with a steamer basket. Place sweet potato cubes in the steamer basket, cover, and steam until tender,10-12 minutes. Begin quinoa below. Transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork when tender.
Cook the quinoa:
- Place 1 1/3 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat to a low simmer, cover, and cook until all liquid has been absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Assemble the 7 layer dip:
- Spread the mashed sweet potatoes in an even layer in the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish. Place the black beans, and then the quinoa, on top of the sweet potatoes. Pour the enchilada sauce over the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, chili powder, and cumin. Dollop the yogurt mixture over the enchilada sauce and then carefully spread it into an even layer. Sprinkle on the grated cheese and green onions.
- The dip can be served cold or warm. If serving warm, heat it in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes, until it reaches the desired temperature. Serve with tortilla chips.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!