Salted Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies
Buttery shortbread cookies are dipped in dark chocolate and then sprinkled with sea salt. These Salted Chocolate-Dipped Shortbread Cookies are mostly sweet with just a touch of sea salt.
It’s the weekend!!! I think that calls for a cookie. A buttery shortbread cookie dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with sea salt, to be exact. Yep, these cookies are pretty amazing.
This was a long week for me. Julia had her first week of Kindergarten, and I started a new school year with a new group of third graders. Plus I had back to school night this week, which meant a 15 hour work day (including commute time) and 48 hours without seeing William, except for giving him a kiss after he was already asleep. I’ve enjoyed getting to know my new students, but I am so ready for a long weekend!
I plan to spend lots of time with my family this weekend, some time relaxing, and lots of time in the kitchen. I have all sorts of cooking and baking plans, including trying out a new dinner recipe and stocking my freezer with breakfast cookies and homemade graham crackers (new whole grain recipe coming soon!).
What are your weekend plans? Maybe there will be some cookie baking going on at your house, too?
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks or ¾ pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 to 7 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- fleur de sel (sea salt), for sprinkling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter and sugar until they are just combined. Mix in the vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and salt, and then add them to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix on low speed until the dough starts to come together.
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and shape into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out to ½-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out cookies; place on the prepared baking sheet. (If the dough has become warm while you roll and cut the cookies, refrigerate the cookies for 15 minutes before baking.) Bake for about 15-18 minutes*, until the edges just begin to brown. Let cool completely.
- When the cookies are cool, melt the chocolate. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 15-30 second increments, stirring in between, until just melted. Stir until smooth.
- Dip half of each cookie into the chocolate and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle chocolate-dipped side of cookies with sea salt. Placing cookies in the refrigerator (on the parchment-lined baking sheet) will help the chocolate to harden faster.
*Note: Baking time will depend on the size, shape, and thickness of your cookies.
You will also love:
Espresso-Chocolate Shortbread Cookies (Please excuse the photo – it’s from the early days of the blog!)
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!