Tortellini with Spinach, Onion, and Pine Nuts
This simple pasta dish is full of cheesy tortellini, healthy spinach, and crunchy pine nuts. It’s a delicious easy dinner, and is also great as a cold pasta salad for lunch.
Today’s recipe is an old favorite from the early days of the blog (July 2010!) that deserved an updated photo and repost to highlight it once again. I’ve been making this Tortellini with Spinach, Onion, and Pine Nuts for years, and it’s still a family favorite!
Are any of you feeling a little lazy lately? I certainly am, especially when it comes to cooking dinner. I want a homecooked meal most nights, but don’t want to put in a whole lot of effort to get it! I’d much rather spend my time outdoors or relaxing with a good book. Can you relate?
This Tortellini with Spinach, Onion, and Pine Nuts is perfect for those nights when you don’t have much time to make dinner, or just don’t feel like doing much cooking. It takes about 15 minutes to get this pasta on the table, and all you need to serve alongside it is a simple green salad. I like to use three cheese tortellini and then add in a generous amount of freshly grated Parmesan as well.
The tortellini is delicious served both warm or as a cold pasta salad. Yummy leftovers for lunch are always welcome around here!
- 1 package fresh tortellini, such as Buitoni brand
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bag washed baby spinach
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set a large pot of water to boil. When the water is boiling, add the tortellini and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts by placing them in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and watch them closely so they don't burn. They will take only a few minutes to toast; you'll know they're done when you begin to smell them and they are just lightly brown.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute, stirring, one minute. Add the spinach to the pan and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the cooked tortellini to the pan with the spinach and onion. Toss with Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper, and a little more olive oil, if desired. Pasta can be served warm or chilled.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!