Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
This healthy sweet potato casserole with pecan topping is a lighter version of the classic southern recipe. You'd never guess that this easy sweet potato casserole is healthy - the creamy sweet potatoes and crunchy pecan topping are irresistible!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
Servings: 10 servings
For the sweet potatoes:
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes about 5 medium, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup milk whole milk, almond milk, etc.
- 1/3 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a steamer basket over a pot of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Allow the sweet potatoes to steam for 15-20 minutes, until they are very tender when pierced with a fork.
Let the sweet potatoes cool slightly and then transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer, beat the sweet potatoes until smooth. Add the milk, honey or pure maple syrup, egg, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Mix until well combined and smooth.
Spread the sweet potato mixture into an 8x8-inch baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the pecans, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle topping over the top of the casserole.
Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 20-25 minutes more, until the pecans are lightly toasted and the casserole is hot.
To make ahead:
- Prepare the casserole, keeping the topping separate. I usually put the topping in a small, covered bowl or small zip-top bag. Refrigerate for up to two days.
- When you are ready to bake the casserole, sprinkle on the topping. I recommend letting the casserole sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes before baking to take the chill off. You will need to add 15-20 minutes to the covered bake time if baking a chilled casserole.
Serving: 1/10 recipe | Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 152mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com