Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup with Cheddar
This Slow Cooker Potato Leek Soup with Cheddar is a comforting vegetarian meal. This soup is easy to make in your crock pot and the leftovers freeze well. This potato leek soup is incredibly smooth and creamy, yet it's made without cream. You can omit the cheese for a dairy-free version.
Servings: 5 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-3 leeks white and light green parts only, sliced into ½-inch pieces and washed well
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes 3-4 medium, peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- additional shredded cheddar and sliced green onions for serving if desired
Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, until slightly softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to the slow cooker.
Add the potatoes, thyme sprigs, salt, pepper and broth to the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4 hours, until potatoes are soft.
Remove and discard the thyme stems (most of the leaves will have fallen off into the soup). Blend until smooth either with an immersion blender or by transferring soup in batches to a counter-top blender.
Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and serve.
- For a dairy-free soup, omit the cheese and replace the butter with olive oil.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 1164mg | Potassium: 1032mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1328IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 219mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com