Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos, made with seasoned salsa chicken and all the fixings! Cook the chicken from fresh or frozen in your Instant Pot for these easy and delicious shredded chicken tacos.
Servings: 8 servings
For the Instant Pot Salsa Chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup salsa
- tortillas, shredded cheese, shredded lettuce or cabbage, avocado, tomatoes, limes, etc.
Put the chicken in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Sprinkle on the chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Pour the salsa over the top of the chicken.
Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam release valve to the sealing position. Set the pressure cook time to 16 minutes at high pressure. (The cook time is the same for fresh and frozen chicken. See the note at the end of the recipe for more cook time information.)
The Instant Pot will take about 12 minutes to reach pressure and then the cook time will begin counting down. When the cook time ends, allow the pot to naturally release for 10 minutes by leaving the Instant Pot alone (no need to press anything). Then carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position to release any remaining pressure. When the pin drops down, open the Instant Pot lid.
Let the chicken cool slightly and then shred it using two forks, a stand mixer, or your fingers. Stir some of the salsa and juices from the bottom of the Instant Pot into the shredded chicken (add more or less cooking liquid depending on how moist you want your shredded chicken to be). Serve chicken in tortillas with toppings as desired.
- You can substitute the individual spices (chili powder, cumin and garlic powder) with 1 1/2 tablespoons of taco seasoning.
- If your chicken breasts are very large AND frozen, increase the pressure cook time to 18 minutes, plus a 10 minute natural release.
- If your chicken breasts are very small and not frozen, reduce the pressure cook time to 12 minutes, plus a 10 minute natural release.
- Nutrition information is for salsa chicken only, as tortillas and taco toppings will vary.
Calories: 141kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 367mg | Potassium: 524mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 301IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com