Perfect Steel Cut Oats
Learn how to make perfect steel cut oats that are creamy and flavorful, and never mushy. This steel cut oatmeal is a healthy, hearty breakfast that you can make ahead.
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup almond milk or other milk or water
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pour the water and milk (if using) into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add the oats and salt to the pan, stir, and reduce the heat to a low simmer.
Cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring often, until the oats are your desired texture. Cook for 20-25 minutes for oats with more chewy texture; cook longer for softer oats, adding more liquid as needed.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, maple syrup and cinnamon.
Add toppings as desired (see ideas in the post above).
- If desired, you may toast your oats before cooking them. Place the oats in a medium saucepan and add a little bit of butter or oil. Toast over medium-low heat until lightly golden and fragrant. Then proceed with the recipe as directed, adding the liquid and simmering.
- Cooked steel cut oats can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If freezing, you can freeze small portions in silicone muffin cups. Thaw and reheat with a splash of milk. See more tips in the post above.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 163mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1.7mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com