Best Creamy Potato Soup
This creamy potato soup recipe is simply the best! There's nothing better on a cold day than a comforting bowl of potato soup loaded with all of your favorite toppings.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 large carrots chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional, for spicy soup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk whole preferred
- 2 pounds Yukon gold or other gold potatoes cut into ½-inch pieces (peeled or unpeeled is fine)
- 2 14.5 ounce cans low sodium chicken or vegetable broth 3 ½ cups total
- optional toppings: homemade garlic herb croutons cooked crumbled bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the garlic, flour, Italian seasoning, paprika, cayenne (if using), salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Stir in the milk.
Add the potatoes and broth. Stir to combine.
Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, 15-20 minutes.
Partially puree the soup. This can be done with an immersion blender or by transferring half of the soup to a countertop blender.
Serve warm with toppings as desired.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 501mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com