Sweet Potato Black Bean Taquitos
These Sweet Potato Black Bean Taquitos are a healthy, family-friendly dinner. Make a big batch and freeze them for easy meal prep!
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 16 taquitos
- 2 medium sweet potatoes about 1 pound, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and well drained
- ½ cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated colby jack cheese 4 ounces
- 16 6- or 7-inch whole grain tortillas
- olive oil or olive oil cooking spray
- kosher salt
- for serving: guacamole, salsa, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, etc.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Place sweet potatoes in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until soft, about 12 minutes. Remove lid and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, place the chopped onion, black beans, salsa, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and grated cheese in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
Add the cooked sweet potatoes to the bowl with the other ingredients and gently mash with a fork. Then, stir them into the black bean mixture.
Spoon about 1/3 cup of the mixture across the lower third of each tortilla and roll up tightly.
At this point, the taquitos can either be baked immediately, refrigerated for up to 1 day and then baked, or frozen. See note below for freezer directions.
To bake taquitos: place seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush each taquito with olive oil (or lightly spray with cooking spray), and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Bake for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Freezer Instructions: Lay taquitos in a single layer in baking dish(es). Place in freezer for 1-2 hours until frozen through, then transfer to a zip-top plastic bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Taquitos can go straight from freezer to the oven. To bake a frozen taquito, follow the baking directions in the recipe above, adding a few extra minutes to the bake time as needed to heat them through.
Serving: 2taquitos | Calories: 435kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 13mg | Sodium: 1100mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 5g
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com