To freeze homemade chicken nuggets:
- You can season your breadcrumb mixture however you like. I kept the flavors simple by using homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Other possible additions are Italian seasoning, dried parsley, paprika, chili powder or garlic powder. You can even mix in some grated Parmesan cheese.
- If desired, you can lightly spray your chicken nuggets with an oil spray before baking to make them even crispier.
- After baking, allow nuggets to cool completely. Transfer to a zip-top freezer bag and seal airtight.
- When ready to serve, bake directly from the freezer until hot, about 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees F.
To make homemade breadcrumbs (recipe makes about 3/4 cup):
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Tear 3 slices whole wheat sandwich bread into large pieces. Place in a food processor and process to fine crumbs.
- Lay crumbs in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes, until dry and golden brown.
- Breadcrumbs may be used immediately or stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.