How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Nuggets for Kids
An easy recipe for how to make crispy baked chicken nuggets for kids! This recipe is both egg free and dairy free. Your kids will love these healthy homemade chicken nuggets! They are freezer friendly, so make ahead a big batch for meal prep!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenders cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- ¾ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs see note
- scant ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a metal cooling rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet.
In a wide, shallow bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Place water in another bowl.
Dip the chicken pieces in the water and then in the breadcrumbs. Use your fingers to gently press the crumbs onto the chicken. Place on the rack on the baking sheet. (Discard any leftover breadcrumbs.)
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. It should register at least 165 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
Serve with ketchup, BBQ sauce, honey mustard sauce, etc. for dipping.
To freeze homemade chicken nuggets:
- You can season your breadcrumb mixture however you like. I kept the flavors simple by using homemade whole wheat breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Other possible additions are Italian seasoning, dried parsley, paprika, chili powder or garlic powder. You can even mix in some grated Parmesan cheese.
- If desired, you can lightly spray your chicken nuggets with an oil spray before baking to make them even crispier.
To make homemade breadcrumbs (recipe makes about 3/4 cup):
- After baking, allow nuggets to cool completely. Transfer to a zip-top freezer bag and seal airtight.
- When ready to serve, bake directly from the freezer until hot, about 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Tear 3 slices whole wheat sandwich bread into large pieces. Place in a food processor and process to fine crumbs.
- Lay crumbs in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 8-10 minutes, until dry and golden brown.
- Breadcrumbs may be used immediately or stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Serving: 4nuggets | Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 284mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com