One Pot Spanish Chickpea Chicken
This One Pot Spanish Chickpea Chicken is an easy, family-friendly dinner! You’ll love how the flavors come together in this healthy one pan meal!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs about 4 pieces*
- salt and pepper
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 ¾ cups 14.5 ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain brown rice rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the hot pan. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 3 minutes per side, and then transfer to a clean plate.
Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium. Add the onion and bell pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
Add 1 teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, the smoked paprika, cumin, diced tomatoes, and broth. Stir to combine. Stir in the rice and chickpeas. Nestle the chicken back into the mixture in the skillet.
Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 35-40 minutes, until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir gently every 10 minutes to make sure the rice cooks evenly.
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts may also be used.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, omit the chicken and substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Calories: 526kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 40g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 135mg | Sodium: 612mg | Potassium: 1019mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1350IU | Vitamin C: 50.8mg | Calcium: 109mg | Iron: 4.9mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com