This easy Waffle Recipe makes the best waffles with light and fluffy insides and crispy edges. Leftover waffles freeze well; see freezer and reheating instructions in the notes below.
Servings: 8 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk* store-bought or see how to make buttermilk
- ¾ cup milk whole milk is best
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat waffle iron.
Melt the butter and set it aside to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Crack the eggs into a medium bowl or large liquid measuring cup. Add the buttermilk, milk and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until just combined.
Cook waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions, until crisp and golden. Waffles are usually done when just a small amount of steam is left escaping from the sides of the waffle iron. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree F oven (on a cooling rack placed on a baking sheet) while you cook the rest of the waffles.
- This recipe makes 6 large waffles in my Belgian waffle maker, which is enough to serve 8 people. The number of waffles you are able to make will depend on the size of your waffle iron.
- You may substitute 2 cups whole milk in place of the buttermilk and milk. You'll need less liquid overall if using all milk because it is thinner than buttermilk.
- Waffles freeze well. Let cool completely on a cooling rack. Store, wrapped airtight, in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To reheat frozen waffles, first thaw on the counter or in the microwave on low power. Then warm the waffles in a toaster on low power or on a wire rack set atop a baking sheet in a 250° F oven, for about 5 minutes, until warm and crisp to the touch.
Serving: 1/8 of recipe | Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 348IU | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com