Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes
Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes is a delicious meal made with juicy chicken thighs, potatoes and carrots in a flavorful gravy. One of the best slow cooker recipes for an easy dinner!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs about 3 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 large carrots halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes halved or quartered as needed to make ¾-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- chopped fresh parsley optional, for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Put the chicken in the skillet, skin side down, and brown on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a clean plate.
Add the onion to the hot skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until onion starts to soften. Stir in the garlic, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste and flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Stir in the chicken broth. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until sauce thickens, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Remove pan from the heat.
Place the potatoes and carrots in the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the onion mixture from the skillet and spread it out into an even layer over the vegetables. Add the bay leaves. Place the chicken on top of everything else, skin side up.
Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours, until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F and potatoes and carrots are tender. Remove bay leaves and serve.
- Bone-in chicken breasts may be substituted for the chicken thighs and the cook time will remain the same. I would recommend using about 3 bone-in chicken breasts.
- If using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, they will cook faster than bone-in thighs. I recommend checking on them after 4 hours on low or 2 hours on high.
Serving: 1/6 recipe | Calories: 482kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 142mg | Sodium: 185mg | Potassium: 1023mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8172IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com