Chicken Tortilla Casserole
This Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a one pot meal that you can have on your dinner table in no time.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- 1 ¾ cups low sodium chicken broth (one 14.5 ounce can)
- 1 cup salsa*
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn drain if canned
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces crumbled tortilla chips (about 4 cups), divided
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack and/or cheddar cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper and stir for 30 seconds.
Stir in the chicken broth and salsa. Add the cooked shredded chicken, corn, black beans and half of the tortilla chips. Stir. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook at a low simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove pan from the heat.
Stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Add the remaining tortilla chips and stir them in just a little, leaving some on top of the casserole. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
Cover the casserole and let it rest for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
- If you don't want the casserole spicy at all, you can omit the cayenne pepper.
- I recommend using medium salsa as it adds a little more flavor.
- My two favorite ways to cook the chicken are this Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe and this Crockpot Shredded Chicken recipe.
Serving: 1/6 recipe | Calories: 476kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 908mg | Potassium: 750mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1215IU | Vitamin C: 32mg | Calcium: 318mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
© Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com