Easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Crockpot Shredded Chicken – My favorite crockpot chicken recipe for meal prep! Moist, tender shredded chicken that you can use to make chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, casseroles and more. Make a big batch and freeze some for quick dinners!
This basic recipe for making shredded chicken in a crockpot is one of my favorites. It couldn’t be easier!
If you’re looking for a recipe to help you get dinner on the table faster, this is it.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts slow cook all day in broth and seasonings. The result is tender, fall apart chicken that is so versatile you can use it in all of your favorite recipes that call for cooked chicken.
It’s more budget friendly than buying a rotisserie chicken and you can make a big batch and freeze some for later.
Why you will love this crockpot shredded chicken recipe
- It takes just minutes to make this easy crockpot chicken. Just dump chicken, broth and seasonings into your slow cooker and turn it on.
- The flavor is versatile so this shredded chicken (sometimes called pulled chicken) works in lots of recipes.
- This recipe is great for meal prep. With cooked chicken in your refrigerator or freezer you can easily make quick lunches and dinners.
How to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker (crockpot)
This is truly a dump and go recipe for all purpose shredded chicken.
You will add boneless chicken breasts (I usually cook 2-3 pounds at a time), chicken broth and a few spices to your slow cooker. I recommend using chicken broth instead of water because the broth adds flavor to the chicken.
Cook the chicken until it is fall apart tender but not dry. You want the internal temperature of the chicken to be at least 165 degrees F. I like to use an instant read thermometer to check that the chicken has cooked to a safe temperature.
Let the chicken cool slightly and then shred the chicken while it is still warm. I’ve written a post about how to shred chicken with my tips and tricks for shredding chicken the quick and easy way!
Stir some of the cooking liquid into the shredded chicken for the best tender, moist and juicy chicken.
Common questions about crockpot chicken
Can I cook frozen chicken breasts in my crockpot?
I know that many people do cook frozen chicken in their slow cooker, but I wouldn’t recommend it for food safety reasons. Since a slow cooker heats up slowly, the food will stay in a dangerous temperature range for too long. If you have frozen chicken and don’t have time to defrost it, try my Instant Pot shredded chicken.
Can I make this with bone-in chicken?
You can, but it will take longer to cook. I like to use boneless chicken because I don’t have to worry about removing the bones when I shred the chicken.
How long should I cook chicken in my crockpot?
Different slow cookers cook differently, as some run hotter than others. As a general guide, boneless chicken breasts take anywhere from 1.5-3 hours to cook on high and 3-6 hours on low. The less chicken and liquid that you have in your crockpot, the faster it will cook. Smaller pieces of chicken will cook faster than larger pieces.
How long will cooked shredded chicken last?
Cooked shredded chicken will last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or 2-3 months in the freezer.
Can I make this recipe in my Instant Pot?
Yes! Try my Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe.
Tips for making Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- See my post on how to shred chicken quickly and easily.
- Add some of the cooking liquid back to the shredded chicken for moisture and flavor.
- Freeze extra shredded chicken in 1-2 cup portions so you can easily defrost the amount that you need for a meal or recipe.
What can I make with shredded chicken?
If you forget to meal plan for the week, cooking a batch of shredded chicken will allow you to put together nutritious meals without a recipe. You can make burritos, tacos, quesadillas, salads, sandwiches, pasta soups and more with this healthy protein.
Shredded chicken recipes
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- Stacked Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Meal Prep Chicken Salads
- BBQ Chicken Sliders
- Baked Mac and Cheese with Chicken and Broccoli
More easy crockpot chicken recipes
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Chicken
- Simple Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
- Crockpot BBQ Chicken
Easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place all ingredients in crockpot (this is the slow cooker that I use).
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and shreds easily with a fork. You can use an instant read thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the chicken has reaches a safe 165 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker, leaving the broth in the pot. Let the chicken cool slightly and then shred the chicken. Stir in about 1/2 cup of the broth from the pot for flavor and moisture.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!