Chicken Tortilla Casserole
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Chicken Tortilla Casserole is a one pot meal that you can have on your dinner table in no time. With chicken, black beans and cheese, this tortilla chip casserole is perfect for a weeknight!
If you’re in need of easy dinner ideas, this chicken tortilla chip casserole is a favorite. It’s a family-friendly, 30 minute meal that you can make in one skillet on the stove.
This recipe uses basic ingredients that are easy to keep on hand in your pantry. It starts with onion, bell pepper, spices and salsa. This base layer gives the casserole so much flavor! Chicken, corn and black beans make this a filling meal.
The “tortilla” in this chicken tortilla casserole comes from tortilla chips that are cooked into the casserole. The tortilla chips soften and soak into the casserole. Then more tortilla chips are crumbled on top for crunch in this cheesy one pot meal.
This Mexican chicken casserole is a great way to use up leftover cooked chicken. Or, you can quickly cook chicken breasts for this recipe using my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, try poached chicken or Crockpot Shredded Chicken.
Preparing the Casserole
To make this easy skillet meal, you’ll start by sautéing onion and bell pepper. Once the vegetables have softened, you will add minced garlic and a few other seasonings to the pan. Stir these in and cook for just 30 seconds.
Next, stir in chicken broth and salsa, followed by the cooked shredded chicken, black beans, corn and half of the crumbled tortilla chips. Save the other half of the chips for adding to the casserole at the end. Cover the casserole and cook it at a low simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining tortilla chips over the casserole and stir them in just a bit. It’s best if some of the chips stay on top of the casserole so that they stay crunchy. Finally, sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and cover the casserole for just a few minutes, until the cheese melts.
Sprinkle on some chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, and enjoy!
You’ll find the full recipe instructions with ingredients in the recipe card below.
Tips for Making Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- If you want a vegetarian casserole, you can leave out the chicken and make this recipe with only the black beans and corn. Cooked sweet potato cubes would be a delicious addition!
- I recommend using medium salsa in this recipe for flavor.
- When you make this recipe as written with medium salsa and 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, it is a little spicy, but not overly so. If you don’t want it to be spicy at all, you can use mild salsa and omit the cayenne pepper. The casserole will have less flavor that way, though.
More Easy Dinner Ideas:
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- White Bean Chicken Chili
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper ((any color), chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- 1 ¾ cups low sodium chicken broth ((one 14.5 ounce can))
- 1 cup salsa*
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken*
- 1 cup frozen or canned corn (drain if canned)
- 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 6 ounces crumbled tortilla chips ((about 4 cups), divided)
- 1 ½ cups shredded Monterey jack and/or cheddar cheese (divided)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the chicken broth and salsa. Add the cooked shredded chicken, corn, black beans and half of the tortilla chips. Stir. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook at a low simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed. Remove pan from the heat.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese. Add the remaining tortilla chips and stir them in just a little, leaving some on top of the casserole. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Cover the casserole and let it rest for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!