Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole is so easy to make with just four ingredients! Instead of rolling the enchiladas in tortillas, you'll layer everything in a casserole dish to make this favorite Mexican dinner!
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce store-bought or homemade
- 8 corn tortillas or flour tortillas
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or chopped
- 2 ½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or cheddar, jack, mozzarella (or a combination of these)
- For serving: sliced green onions, avocado or guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Place a few spoonfuls of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish and spread to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Lay 2 tortillas over the sauce, cutting them in half as needed to make them fit evenly.
Put ⅓ of the chicken on top of the tortillas, followed by ¼ of the cheese and ¼ of the remaining enchilada sauce. Repeat the layers twice more: tortillas, chicken, cheese, sauce. For the top layer, use the last 2 tortillas, the rest of the sauce, and finally the remaining cheese on top.
Cover the dish with foil that is lightly greased with cooking spray (to prevent the cheese from sticking to the foil). Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Then uncover and bake for 5 to 10 minutes more, until sauce is bubbly and cheese just begins to brown.
Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with green onions, cilantro, avocado, guacamole, sour cream, etc., as desired.
- The casserole freezes well, both before and after baking. Thaw frozen enchilada casserole overnight in the refrigerator and then heat in a 350° F oven until it is steaming hot.
Serving: 1/6 recipe | Calories: 353kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 1069mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 860IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 341mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information is only an estimate.
All Rights Reserved © Kristine's Kitchen https://kristineskitchenblog.com