Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Just 15 minutes and a few pantry staples are all you need to make this homemade enchilada sauce. You’ll never go back to store-bought!
This enchilada sauce recipe is one that I’ve been making for years and I can’t believe I haven’t shared it here before today. Once you make this recipe, you’ll be hooked!
I make this every time a recipe calls for red enchilada sauce. A couple of times, I’ve been tempted to just pick up a can of store-bought enchilada sauce, because wouldn’t that be easier? But I just can’t do it. So I spend the 15 minutes and make this recipe, and I’m always glad I did. It’s especially good in this chicken enchilada recipe.
You can make this enchilada sauce ahead of time, and either freeze it (once cooled) or keep it in your refrigerator for a day or two until you’re ready to use it in your recipe. I made a batch on Sunday morning, stored it in mason jars in the refrigerator, and then putting together my Chicken Enchilada Casserole was a breeze on Monday night.
Why you will Love this Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- It’s made with common pantry ingredients.
- It takes hardly any time to make it.
- The flavor is far better than store-bought!
- You can adjust how spicy it is.
How to Make Enchilada Sauce
Making this enchilada sauce recipe couldn’t be easier. You start by cooking some garlic in a little olive oil. Then you add seasonings, tomato sauce, and chicken broth, vegetable broth or water.
Simmer the enchilada sauce over low heat for 10 minutes, and that’s it! From scratch enchilada sauce ready for adding to enchiladas, casseroles, or whatever else you can think of.
The recipe below (when made with mild chili powder) yields enchilada sauce with just a little spice. For spicier enchilada sauce, you can add more cayenne pepper. To make the sauce mild, omit the cayenne pepper and be sure to use a mild chili powder.
We eat our fair share of Mexican food, and these are some of our favorite recipes for using our homemade enchilada sauce:
- Vegetarian Enchiladas with Sweet Potato and Black Beans
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Quinoa and Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole
- Avocado Enchiladas
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional, for spice)
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth or water)
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add all remaining ingredients: chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, cayenne pepper (if using), tomato sauce and broth (or water). Stir.
- Bring to a low simmer, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Enchilada sauce can be used immediately or frozen for future use. It will also keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!