Stacked Chicken Enchiladas
NEW! Slow Cooker Freezer Meal Plan now available!
These Stacked Chicken Enchiladas are super easy to make! Instead of rolling the filling in tortillas, layer everything in a casserole dish to make this favorite Mexican dinner!
One of my family’s favorite cuisines is Mexican food, and we really enjoy a good enchilada. The corn tortillas, the spicy sauce, the melty cheese… what’s not to love? Well, sometimes it’s the assembly of the enchiladas that I’d like to pass on. Most of the time I don’t mind it, but if I’m in a hurry I surely don’t want to fuss with dipping, filling, and rolling tortillas. That’s where these stacked chicken enchiladas come in. To make these, I simply layer the ingredients in a baking dish, bake, and serve. Easy peasy!
I like to make a batch of my 3-Ingredient Slow Cooker Taco Chicken earlier in the day when I’m going to make these stacked enchiladas. The slow cooker chicken could not be easier (it’s a staple in my house!), and having the chicken cooked and ready makes prepping these enchiladas a breeze. Not to mention that the slow cooker taco chicken adds even more delicious flavor to this dish.
Now I know it may sound like I’m contradicting myself here, since I just wrote about how these stacked enchiladas save you time and effort, but I’m going to highly recommend that you make your own enchilada sauce when you make these. It will take you 15 minutes, tops. Never made enchilada sauce before? If you can chop onions and stir, then you can make this sauce. This is my favorite homemade enchilada sauce recipe.
One last note: as is the case with many casseroles, these stacked chicken enchiladas taste even better the second day so be sure to plan those leftovers into your menu!
- 1 ½ cups lowfat Greek yogurt (plus more for serving)
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 5 green onions, white and light green parts, sliced thin (plus more for serving)
- 1 ½ cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped small
- For serving: Greek yogurt, sliced green onions, avocado, and/or cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray an 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt, chili powder, cumin and green onions.
- In another bowl, toss together the grated cheddar and jack cheeses.
- Place a few spoonfuls of enchilada sauce in the baking dish and spread to evenly cover the bottom of the dish. Lay 2 tortillas over the sauce, cutting them in half as needed to make them fit evenly. Spread ¼ of the yogurt mixture over the tortillas, followed by ⅓ of the chicken, ¼ of the remaining sauce, and ¼ of the cheese. Repeat layers twice more: using 2 tortillas, ⅓ of the remaining yogurt, ½ of the remaining chicken, and ⅓ of the remaining sauce and cheese in each layer. For the top layer, use the last 2 tortillas and the rest of the yogurt, sauce, and cheese.
- Cover with foil that is lightly greased with cooking spray. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 5-8 minutes, until sauce is bubbly and cheese just begins to brown. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving. Serve topped with a dollop of Greek yogurt, green onions, cilantro, and avocado, if desired.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!