Homemade Hot Cocoa
A few weeks ago I posted a recipe for Peppermint Hot Cocoa. Today I’m sharing a traditional hot cocoa recipe with you, because sometimes you just want a basic cup of cocoa. This homemade hot cocoa is simple to make on the stovetop, or even in the microwave if you’re in a hurry. I went light on the sugar because only a little is needed to enhance the rich chocolate flavor. Whipped cream is optional but highly recommended!
I prefer to mix up my hot cocoa ingredients each time I make it, but I know that some of you might like to keep a mix on hand. Below I have also included a larger-scale recipe to make hot cocoa mix, which you can store almost indefinitely at room temperature.
We still have quite a few months of cold left before Spring arrives, which means plenty of opportunities to treat yourself to this homemade hot cocoa! Go outside and enjoy a walk or some playtime with the kids, and then come back inside and warm up with a rich, chocolatey mug of cocoa.
Homemade Hot Cocoa
Makes 2 servings
- 2 ½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 16 oz. (2 cups) milk
- Whipped cream, optional (for serving)
- Place all ingredients (except whipped cream) in a small saucepan. Warm over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cocoa powder dissolves and mixture is hot. Serve immediately, topped with whipped cream, if desired.
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
Makes about 2 ¼ cups mix*
- 1 ¾ cup plus 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
To make one cup of cocoa:
- Combine 1 ½ tablespoons of mix with one cup (8 ounces) of milk. Add a pinch of salt, if desired. Heat in a pot on the stovetop or in the microwave, stirring, until mix is dissolved and cocoa is hot. Serve topped with whipped cream, if desired.
*Store hot cocoa mix in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. It will keep for a long time.
Source: Kristine’s Kitchen original.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!