Baked Chicken Thighs
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These Baked Chicken Thighs are crispy on the outside and juicy inside, with the most delicious seasonings. Incredibly easy to make, this chicken thigh recipe is perfect for dinner any night of the week!
When my family asks, “What’s for dinner?” and the answer is baked chicken thighs, happy cheers can be heard all around.
These oven baked chicken thighs are one of those recipes that you will find yourself making again and again. Along with Baked Chicken Breast, this recipe is one of my go-to’s when I need a quick dinner that’s as tasty as it is quick to prepare.
There’s so much to love about crispy chicken thighs, perfectly seasoned and then baked to juicy perfection. Serve them with these easy Drop Biscuits and Roasted Vegetables for a meal the whole family will love.
Perfect Oven Baked Chicken Thighs
There are so many reasons to love this recipe:
- Chicken thigh meat is usually more moist and flavorful than chicken breast.
- The seasoning for this chicken thighs recipe is so simple and so tasty.
- The skin gets deliciously crispy in the oven.
- Chicken thighs are a budget-friendly meal.
Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe Ingredients
- Seasonings: This recipe uses a variation of my favorite Chicken Seasoning to season the chicken. For the seasoning rub you’ll need Italian seasoning, brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. If you prefer to not add the brown sugar, the chicken will still be delicious. The sugar just helps the seasonings to caramelize on the chicken as it bakes.
- Bone-In Skin-On Chicken Thighs: To serve 6 people, buy 3 pounds of meat, or about 8 thighs.
- Olive Oil: Helps the seasonings to stick and the skin to get crispy.
How to Make Baked Chicken Thighs
Here’s a quick overview of how to make this easy chicken thigh recipe. Find the full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions below.
- Whisk together the seasonings.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels and place them in a baking dish.
- Rub all sides of the chicken first with olive oil and then with the spice rub. For the most flavor, try to get some of the seasonings on the meat under the skin. Arrange the chicken thighs skin side up in the pan.
- Bake at 400° F for 30 to 40 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F.
How Long to Bake Chicken Thighs
At 400° F, bone-in chicken thighs will take 30-40 minutes to cook in the oven. The exact cook time will depend on the size of your chicken thighs. The best way to check when chicken is done is to use an instant read thermometer to check the internal temperature. Chicken should be cooked to 165° F. Be sure to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the meat, and don’t let it touch the bone.
Can I Use Boneless Chicken Thighs?
Yes, you can use boneless thighs in this recipe. They will take about 10 minutes less to cook through.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel before seasoning. This will help the skin to get crispy.
- Rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken, both on top of the skin and under the skin. You want the tasty rub to be all over the chicken for the best flavor.
- Bake the chicken at a high temperature (400° F). This seals in moisture, giving you juicier chicken.
- Do not cover the chicken as it bakes. Baking uncovered helps the skin to get crispy.
- To get the skin extra crispy, you can broil the chicken during the last few minutes of baking. Be sure to use a broiler-safe baking dish.
- Bake chicken thighs skin side up and do not flip or move the chicken as it bakes.
What to Serve with Chicken Thighs
These chicken thighs go with just about any side dish! Here are a few ideas:
- A starch, such as rice (see How to Cook Rice) or Potato Salad.
- Vegetables. Try Roasted Broccoli or Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts.
- A fresh, crisp salad, such as Broccoli Slaw or a Greek Salad.
If you have leftover chicken, you can add it to a salad or wrap, or use it to make Chicken Salad for sandwiches.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Baked Chicken and Rice
- Tuscan Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs
- Crockpot Chicken and Potatoes
Or try one of these Chicken Recipes.
Baked Chicken Thighs
For the Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, or dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt, or ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 pounds skin-on bone-in chicken thighs, 8 bone-in thighs, see note below about boneless
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Set out a 13x9-inch or similar baking dish or line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the seasonings until well combined.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels and place them in the baking dish.
- Rub both sides of the chicken with olive oil. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the chicken, rubbing it on both sides of the chicken thighs. Try to rub some of the rub underneath the skin as well as on top of the skin for the most flavorful chicken. Arrange the chicken thighs skin side up on the pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven, without moving or turning, until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken (not touching the bone) reaches at least 165° F. This will take about 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken thighs.
- If desired, you can broil the chicken for a few minutes to get the skin extra crispy. Be sure to use a broiler-safe baking dish/pan and do not put parchment paper under the broiler.
- If using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, they will take about 10 minutes less to cook through.