Peppermint Hot Cocoa
There are only three more days until Christmas. In some ways, I wish that there were a few more days. Not because I’m not ready; I have most of my gift shopping and wrapping done, and feel pretty relaxed about the few things left I have to do. I just wish we could stretch out the season a little longer, because I love this time of year- looking at the lights, sitting by the tree, listening to Christmas music, and doing holiday activities with the kids.
You can bet I am going to make the most of the coming days, and I’ll start by making some of this peppermint hot cocoa with Julia, and spending some quality time together as we enjoy a warm mug of cocoa. The hot cocoa is rich and chocolatey, with just enough peppermint to give you the flavor without being overpowering. Freshly whipped cream and crushed peppermints on top are a must, as is sitting down to relax and enjoy. I’ll likely enjoy a second mug of peppermint hot cocoa on my own, during that quiet time when the kids are sleeping, sitting in the glow of the Christmas tree.
Whether you make this peppermint hot cocoa or not, I hope that you will find a few moments of quiet in the coming days, to reflect on the season and the joys in your life. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season!
Peppermint Hot Cocoa
Makes 2 servings
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch processed
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 2 cups (16 oz.) milk
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 peppermint tea bag
- Whipped cream and crushed peppermint candies, for serving
- Place dark chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, milk, sea salt, and tea bag in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until mixture just comes to a simmer. Simmer over medium-low heat for one minute, or until all of the chocolate has melted and the cocoa is smooth.
- Remove from heat and remove tea bag. Pour cocoa into two mugs; top with whipped cream and crushed peppermints. Relax and enjoy!
Source: Kristine’s Kitchen original.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!