Barley Salad with Grilled Asparagus and Nectarines
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
A light and healthy summer dish, this Barley Salad with Grilled Asparagus and Nectarines is packed with flavor! Feta cheese, shallots, and sliced almonds complement the fruits and vegetables in this barley salad.
How was your weekend? Ours was a good mix of fun and getting stuff done. Last week I finished teaching for the year and I’m now on summer break. I’ll be home with the kids this summer, and we plan to spend lots of time in the backyard, and at the park, library, and pool. I think the key to keeping everyone happy and busy will be an outing each day!
I’m excited to spend the summer home enjoying time with the kids, and I’m also hopeful that I will have a little time to get some organizing done in my house. It needs some work after the past 4 months of first being home with a newborn and then being back at work! I plan to tackle one task each day until it’s done. The last time I went through my house and organized every drawer and closet was the summer after William was born, so I guess having a baby motivates me to get things in order! 🙂
With my cooking this summer, I’ll be focusing on quick and easy meals with fresh ingredients. This Barley Salad with Grilled Asparagus and Nectarines is one such dish. It’s packed with flavor, and a great way to enjoy asparagus while it’s still in season. Once asparagus season is over, this recipe is easily adaptable for other vegetables (and fruits). I think I’ll try it with green beans next. It’s the sweet-savory combination of ingredients that makes this salad a favorite.
We enjoyed this Barley Salad with Grilled Asparagus and Nectarines as a side dish with grilled chicken. The leftovers were delicious for lunch the next day.
This barley salad won’t keep you in the kitchen for long, but it will keep your tastebuds happy! Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, and it’s even better grilled. I’ve mixed feta cheese, shallots, and sliced almonds into the salad to make sure you get tons of flavor in each bite. This Barley Salad with Grilled Asparagus and Nectarines is the perfect dish to add to your next summer BBQ!
- 1 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 1 pound asparagus, washed, dried and trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped shallot
- 2 medium nectarines, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions. Place cooked barley in a large bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brush the asparagus with a small amount of olive oil. Grill the asparagus over medium heat on a lightly oiled grill or grill pan until crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly before cutting into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the shallot and asparagus to the bowl with the barley.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients; pour over barley mixture and toss gently to coat the salad. Gently stir in nectarine, feta cheese, almonds, and basil. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!