Summer Barley Salad
A light and healthy summer dish, this Barley Salad is packed with flavor! Feta cheese, shallots, and sliced almonds complement the fruits and vegetables in this barley salad recipe.
Barley is a nutritious high-fiber whole grain with a chewy texture. This barley salad makes a great summer side dish but can also be a whole meal. It is filling thanks to the protein and fiber from the pearl barley and the almonds. If you are going to make a meal out of this salad, don’t skip the feta cheese!
With my cooking I focusing on quick and easy meals with fresh ingredients. This Barley Salad with grilled asparagus and nectarines is one such dish. It’s packed with flavor, and a great way to enjoy asparagus while it’s still in season. Once asparagus season is over, this recipe is easily adaptable for other vegetables (and fruits). I think I’ll try it with green beans next. It’s the sweet-savory combination of ingredients that makes this salad a favorite.
The leftovers are also delicious for lunch the next day.
This pearl barley salad won’t keep you in the kitchen for long, but it will keep your tastebuds happy! I’ve mixed feta cheese, shallots, and sliced almonds into the salad to make sure you get tons of flavor in each bite. This barley recipe is the perfect dish to add to your next summer BBQ!
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 pound asparagus washed, dried and trimmed
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped shallot
- 2 medium nectarines chopped into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook barley according to package directions. Place cooked barley in a large bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, brush the asparagus with a small amount of olive oil. Grill the asparagus over medium heat on a lightly oiled grill or grill pan until crisp-tender, about 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly before cutting into 1-inch pieces.
- Add the shallot and asparagus to the bowl with the barley.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients; pour over barley mixture and toss gently to coat the salad. Gently stir in nectarine, feta cheese, almonds, and basil. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!