BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joes
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joes are irresistibly spicy-sweet sandwiches packed with veggies, turkey, red onion, and cilantro. Add some melty cheese and you’ve got a meal that will make the whole family happy!
I never know what to expect from my kids when dinnertime rolls around. Some days, Hannah’s sleeping and Julia and William play together as nicely as can be. Other days… well, I’m sure you can imagine! I’ve been planning super easy meals because even when the kids are cooperating, I can’t push my luck. Things can only go smoothly for so long before someone is crying. 😉
Sloppy joes are a family favorite that are quick and easy to get on the table. We love this classic sloppy joes recipe, but this time I was wanting something new. I thought BBQ sauce would work really well in a sloppy joe sandwich, and boy was I ever right!
In this sandwich we’ve got ground turkey, BBQ sauce, red onion, and cilantro. But I didn’t stop there. Of course I had to pack in as much nutrition as I could, so I added lots of veggies too. Chopped finely so the kids are none the wiser. All served on a toasted whole-wheat bun with melty Gouda cheese.
This BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joe is a messy, spicy-sweet sandwich that is as delicious as it is fun to eat. I have to say, out of all of the sloppy joe recipes that I’ve tried, this is my very favorite of the bunch. These sloppy joes are extra delicious when you make them with my healthy BBQ sauce recipe. You’ll also love that you know exactly what went into your BBQ sauce and meal. If you are looking for a meatless sloppy joe, my Instant Pot Lentil Sloppy Joe recipe is delicious and so fast and easy to prepare.
BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and chopped small)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped small)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1.25 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato sauce (8 ounce can)
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- whole wheat burger buns (toasted)
- gouda cheese (shredded)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add turkey and season with salt and pepper. Cook turkey, breaking it up into pieces, until it starts to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, and water. Stir; reduce heat to a low simmer, and cook 10 minutes until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.
- Serve sloppy joes on toasted whole wheat buns topped with shredded Gouda cheese.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!