White Chicken Chili
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
A big bowl of this White Chicken Chili is just what you need after a long day!
What foods do you crave in fall? Pumpkin? Apple? Soups and chilis? How about all of the above! Lately I’ve been craving warm comfort foods like soup and chili pretty much nonstop. So when I find a chili recipe that’s as easy as it is delicious, I’m hooked. This White Chicken Chili is so quick and easy to make, you’ll be wanting to add it to your menu week after week!
This chili is thick and hearty, with plenty of chicken, white beans and corn. It’s got a nice hit of spice thanks to jalapeno, chili powder and cayenne pepper. And the whole thing is finished off with a touch of cream. My whole family loved this meal, even my 1 1/2 year old. One kid may have even requested thirds.
This recipe is from my friend Lisa’s new cookbook, 100 Days of Real Food: Fast & Fabulous. Lisa sent me an advance copy of her new book, so that I could share it with you. I bought Lisa’s first cookbook two years ago, and it’s still a favorite!
This new book has 100 easy real food recipes, including breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, homemade staples and more! Beyond the recipes, the book is also a great resource for anyone who is trying to feed their family real foods. Lisa shares kitchen tips, food prep guides, and meal plans to make the process easy!
There are so many recipes in this book that I want to try, including the Cinnamon Raisin Scones, Small-Batch Shortcut Granola, Asian Rice Noodle Salad, Feta and Avocado Pasta Salad, and Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce. And many, many more!
In the meantime, go make this chili! Lisa recommends making a double batch, and I wish I would have. It would be so nice to have a few portions of this in my freezer for busy days!
(If the cornbread in these photos has caught your eye, stay tuned. The recipe is my tried-and-true favorite, and I’ll be sharing it next week!)
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 jalapeño seeds removed, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels no need to thaw
- 2 15-ounce cans white beans such as Great Northern or cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth store bought or homemade
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Optional Toppings: chopped cilantro sour cream, grated Monterey Jack cheese, diced avocado, and/or corn tortilla strips
- In a medium soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until the onion has softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside (add more olive oil if the pot starts to dry out), 4 to 5 minutes.
- Toss the minced garlic and spices into the pot and turn a few times to coat the chicken evenly. Add the corn, beans, and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, about 20 minutes.
- Break up some of the beans with the back of a wooden spoon to help thicken the chili. Stir in the cream, garnish with the desired toppings, and serve!
This dish is also great with leftover cooked chicken. Just skip step 2 and add the chopped cooked chicken with the garlic and spices in step 3.
If you like this White Chicken Chili, you’ll also enjoy:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chickpea Chili from Kristine’s Kitchen
- Easy Sweet Chili Chicken from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- 30 Minute Tuscan White Bean and Kale Soup from Kristine’s Kitchen
- Homemade Vegetarian Chili from Cookie + Kate
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!