Freezer Vegetable Breakfast Burritos + Recipe Video
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
These Freezer Vegetable Breakfast Burritos are so convenient for busy mornings! Reheat them in your microwave for a fast and filling breakfast! With a step by step how to recipe video.
You guys. These Freezer Vegetable Breakfast Burritos are my favorite savory make ahead breakfast. If you like to have a healthy, hearty breakfast but don’t have time to spare in the morning, you have to try these!
I’ve filled these Freezer Vegetable Breakfast Burritos with onion, bell pepper, broccoli, eggs and cheese. I know what you might be thinking. Broccoli?? In a breakfast burrito? YES! You’ll just have to trust me that the broccoli totally works in these burritos and try it for yourself. You’ll chop the broccoli small and saute it with the other veggies before adding it to the scrambled eggs.
Of course, you can switch up the vegetables in these burritos however you like to use your favorites or what you need to use up from your refrigerator.
I like to add a little salsa to my egg and veggie mixture, but I’ve noted that the salsa is optional in the recipe below. The only downside of the salsa is that it can add some extra moisture to the burritos, which makes them trickier to eat with your hands. Not enough that the tortilla becomes soggy, but enough that you’ll want to use a fork to eat your burrito… or have a few napkins handy. I would definitely caution against using a fresh salsa in these. This is one time where jarred just works better.
I freeze these burritos in large zip-top baggies labeled with the date I made them. They’ll last in the freezer for about 2 months. Reheat them on the defrost (or very low) setting in the microwave. If you remember, you can put your frozen burrito in the refrigerator the night before you plan to eat it to help get the thawing process started. I usually don’t, and they take a few minutes to defrost and then heat to hot in my microwave.
I’m anxious to hear if you like these Freezer Vegetable Breakfast Burritos as much as I do, and which vegetables you add to yours. If you try this recipe, leave a comment to let me know. I love hearing from you! <3
Freezer Vegetable Breakfast Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon butter
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup salsa, optional
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, 8 ounces
- 8 burrito-size whole wheat tortillas
- Cook the vegetables: Heat olive oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, broccoli, salt and pepper. Cook vegetables, stirring often, until softened. Remove from heat.
- Scramble the eggs: Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook until set, stirring.
- Stir the eggs and salsa into the pot with the vegetables.
- Wrap the burritos (see recipe video above): Place about ½ cup of the egg and vegetable mixture slightly below the center of each tortilla. Add ¼ cup cheese. Fold bottom of tortilla up, then fold sides in, and then continue wrapping up from the bottom into a burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Freeze: Once cool, place burritos in a zip-top bag and seal. Store in the freezer for up to two months. Defrost and reheat in the microwave. (If you remember, place in the refrigerator the night before to start the defrost process.) First, use the defrost (or very low) setting to thaw. Then, heat on high for 30 seconds to 1 minute until hot. Enjoy!
Oh I love the idea of freezer burritos, Kristine! I need to start utilizing my freezer more often with make-ahead meals, I’m so bad at that! These veggie burritos sound delicious for a grab ‘n go breakfast. What a fun recipe!
Thank you, Kristine, for your hard work!
I’ve been a big fan of your blog for a long time. All your recipes are wonderful: healthy, easy no fuss to make but also delicious! It’s a gem in the sea of culinary blogs! Thanks again!
Thank you for your kind words, Yelena! You put a smile on my face. ? I’m so happy to hear that you are enjoying my blog and recipes!
Broccoli and all these veggies sound great in a breakfast burrito to me! Love this make-ahead freezer option and I’m definitely trying them soon!
I’ve been looking for healthy vegetarian meals to make ahead and freeze for my client and I am so excited to try these!
Hello! Any substitute for the eggs ?
Other than tofu
I came across this recipe not long ago and made these and they are amazing! I was a little worried how they were going to freeze with all the veggies but they held up awesome! These are now my go to breakfast! Thanks for a super healthy and super yummy breakfast recipe!!!
I’m so glad you like these! I made another batch this week. They are so handy to have in the freezer!
I was a little skeptical at first because of the broccoli. Once I heated these in the microwave the next day after making them, OMG SO GOOD! My fiancé even loves these and he’s so picky! I finally found a healthy go to breakfast that’s freezeable! Thank you!
Yay! I know, the broccoli sounds strange at first but it really is so good in these! I’m happy to hear that you both loved them!
Do you think they’d still work with some turkey sausage in them? I like a little meat in my breakfast. They sound delicious even without; I’m just curious.
Yes! Brown the turkey sausage for a few minutes before adding the veggies to the pot. They will be delicious with sausage!
Hi! I’ve been looking for a breakfast burrito recipe that includes broccoli FOREVER! I’m especially excited about the freezing option- this will be a lifesaver! Quick question: I am interested in adding mushrooms…do you think they will freeze/thaw well if I sauté them with the rest of the veggies? Truly appreciate your help!
I’m glad you found my recipe! I haven’t tried this with mushrooms, but I think they will freeze well in this recipe. Enjoy!