Stuffed Delicata Squash
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Stuffed Delicata Squash is a vegetarian dinnertime favorite! Black beans and quinoa provide lots of protein in this meatless meal.
After our recent farm box delivery, we found ourselves with an abundance of squash. The butternut squash is destined for this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, but the delicata squash? I do love roasted delicata squash but this delicata squash recipe is a healthy main dish.
This recipe has a Mexican twist stuffed into the delicata squash. Really more of a delicata enchilada.
Preparing Stuffed Delicata Squash
First, you will halve the squash. I use a regular spoon to scrape out the seeds.
You’ll put the squash halves in your oven at 375 degrees to roast about 30-35 minutes while you assemble the rest of the filling.
In a separate saucepan, you will prepare the rest of the filling and the quinoa will cook simultaneously in a saucepan for 12-15 minutes.
Once the filling is complete, just spoon it into the squash halves and bake for 10 minutes until heated through.
Since you can have many steps of this recipe going simultaneously, such as roasting the squash, cooking the quinoa, and cooking the sauce. There’s even some inactive time in there that you can use to clean up your kitchen. 😉
If you’ve never had delicata squash before, I encourage you to give it a try! It has an almost sweet flavor, which reminds me of a cross between a sweet potato and a butternut squash. The peel softens up when cooked, so that it is “delicate” and can be eaten along with the flesh of the squash. Thus the name, “delicata.” Enjoy!
Stuffed Delicata Squash
- 2 medium delicata squash
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- additional cilantro or cheddar cheese for serving, if desired
Roast the Squash:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the tough stem end off the delicata squash, then slice each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place cut-side-up in a baking dish and lightly brush with olive oil on all sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast squash for 30-35 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork. Maintain oven temperature.
Cook the Quinoa:
- Bring 1 ¼ cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the quinoa, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat.
Prepare the Filling:
- In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, tomato sauce, and water, and cook at a low simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cooked quinoa, black beans, cilantro, and cheddar cheese.
Fill and Bake the Stuffed Squash:
- Scoop the filling into the squash halves. Bake in the 375 degree oven for 10 minutes, until filling is heated through and squash is tender. Serve, topped with additional cheese and cilantro if desired.