Roasted Carrot and Garlic Hummus
Craving something new and healthy for snack or lunch time? This Roasted Carrot and Garlic Hummus is delicious with fresh, raw veggies or pita bread. It’s an easy appetizer to serve at your next party, too!
I am always reminding myself that I need to make hummus more often. It’s such a healthy snack, especially if your dippers of choice are fresh vegetables. And my kids love hummus just as much as I do! Which is even more reason to make it on a weekly basis. Julia will eat bell pepper after bell pepper dipped in hummus. (She’ll even eat hummus plain by the spoonful!) William likes his hummus with carrots, bell peppers, whole wheat pita bread or crackers, and even an occasional cucumber.
I’ve been trying to work more variety into our lunches because we seem to be stuck in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich rut. I want to try to make a salad for lunch at least once a week. And I plan to make a batch of hummus once a week, which we can enjoy for lunch one day and snack the next.
I’ll be starting with another batch of this Roasted Carrot and Garlic Hummus. The roasted carrots lend a natural sweetness to this hummus, which is nicely balanced out by the garlic. I love paprika with my roasted carrots, and I’ve added in some sweet paprika here. If you prefer the flavor of smoked paprika, go ahead and use that instead.
The first thing you’ll want to do when you go to make this hummus is roast the carrots. I quickly chop mine into ½-inch rounds, toss them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast them until they’re nice and soft. After the carrots cool for a few minutes you’re ready to make this Roasted Carrot and Garlic Hummus!
The rest is really quick and easy. You’ll throw the roasted carrots and all of the remaining ingredients in your food processor (a blender would work in a pinch) and process until it’s smooth and ready for dipping. I always think the hardest part about hummus is waiting to eat it while I prep the fresh veggies to go along with it!
What have you been eating for lunch lately?
Roasted Carrot and Garlic Hummus
For the Roasted Carrots:
- 6 ounces carrots chopped into ½-inch rounds
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the Hummus:
- 16 ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Roast the Carrots:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place carrots in a baking dish and drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss with a spoon to combine.
- Roast carrots in the preheated oven until soft, about 25 minutes total, stirring after 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
Make the Hummus:
- Place roasted carrots and all of the remaining hummus ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add additional water (or olive oil) as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, if hummus is too thick.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika if desired. Enjoy hummus with pita bread and fresh cut vegetables, such as bell peppers, cucumbers, radishes, and mushrooms.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!