Air Fryer Chicken Breast
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast is the best way to make juicy, tender and perfectly seasoned chicken breasts. This versatile protein is fast, easy and absolutely delicious!
Cooking chicken in the air fryer makes it perfectly tender and juicy, every time.
My love for air fried chicken started with our favorite Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Then we became enamored with this crispy Air Fryer Fried Chicken and spicy Air Fryer Chicken Wings. Today we are singing the praises of perfect air fryer chicken breasts!
These chicken breasts are seasoned with a simple chicken rub, which is a variation of my all-time favorite Chicken Seasoning. They’re perfect for serving with your favorite side dish recipes, slicing and adding to salads, or making my easy Chicken Salad Recipe. This air fryer chicken breast has quickly become one of our go-to Air Fryer Recipes!
The Best Air Fryer Chicken
- Air fryer chicken breast is so moist and juicy!
- The edges don’t dry out while cooking, as can sometimes happen with baked or grilled chicken.
- Every bite is so flavorful thanks to a simple seasoning rub.
- This recipe is super easy – only 10 minutes of prep!
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts: This recipe calls for two chicken breasts to serve four people. You can cook more or less chicken by scaling the recipe up or down. If cooking more than two breasts, you may need to cook the chicken in batches if it won’t fit in a single layer in your air fryer.
- Olive Oil: Rubbing the chicken breasts with olive oil helps the seasonings to stick.
- Brown Sugar: I include brown sugar in the seasoning rub for the chicken because it caramelizes as the chicken cooks, helping to keep the outside of the chicken moist. It also adds a hint of sweetness, which is delicious counterpart to the savory spices in the rub. If you prefer a no sugar recipe, you can omit the brown sugar. In this case, you may want to double the paprika for additional flavor.
- Chicken Rub: The remaining ingredients in the chicken seasoning rub are paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
Recipe Variations: Add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder to the rub for a bit of heat. Or use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
Find the full printable recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions in the recipe card below.
How to Make Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- Whisk or stir together the seasonings.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry. Place them in a zip-top plastic bag or between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap, to prevent splattering. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness.
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and then the seasoning mixture.
- Place the chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer. Air fry at 400° F for 8 minutes, then flip the chicken over and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through, about 5-12 more minutes.
How Long to Cook Chicken Breast in an Air Fryer
How long to cook chicken breasts in the air fryer can depend on a number of factors, including the weight and thickness of the chicken breasts, the cooking temperature, and which air fryer you use. I air fry chicken breasts at 400° F because a higher cooking temperature helps to sear the outside of the chicken, sealing in the juices.
Flipping the chicken over halfway through the cook time helps it to cook evenly. In my Cosori air fryer, chicken breasts usually take 13-20 minutes total to cook, depending on their size. Air Fried Chicken is done when the internal temperature registers 165° F on an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe Tips
- For the most delicious chicken, pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness before cooking. This tenderizes the meat and helps the chicken breasts to cook evenly.
- Be sure to arrange the chicken breasts in an even layer in the air fryer basket so that they will cook evenly. This isn’t the time to stack as many chicken breasts as you can on top of each other. (If you’re cooking for a crowd, try these Instant Pot Chicken Breasts or Instant Pot BBQ Chicken.)
- The cook time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts. Air fryer models can also vary in how they cook, so adjust the cook time accordingly. Chicken is done when it registers 165° F on an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing or serving. This wait time allows the juices to redistribute and reabsorb throughout the meat.
We love to serve this air fryer chicken breast with a healthy vegetable side dish such as Roasted Broccoli, Roasted Cauliflower or Roasted Zucchini. It’s also delicious served with Potato Salad or Air Fryer Potatoes and Biscuits.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer French Fries
- Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Stir or whisk until well combined.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Place chicken breasts in a zip-top bag or between two layers of parchment paper and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them to an even thickness.
- Rub the olive oil over all sides of the chicken breasts. Then rub the spice mixture on both sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken in a single layer in the air fryer. Cook at 400° for 8 minutes, then flip chicken over and continue cooking for 5-12 more minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F at the thickest part of the breast. (The cook time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts.)
- Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder to the rub for a bit of heat.
- Use smoked paprika for a smoky flavor.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!