This Cajun Seasoning is an easy way to liven up your meals with a kick of delicious, spicy flavor! It’s easy to make using common spices and seasonings.
If you enjoy flavorful dishes with a bit of heat, you’ll love this Cajun seasoning!
Cajun seasoning is a blend of spices used in Cajun cuisine, which originated in Louisiana. This delicious spice blend commonly includes paprika, garlic powder, salt and cayenne pepper, along with other seasonings. It packs a punch of flavor and can be used to season everything from chicken to shrimp, pasta, vegetables, fries and more.
While you could pick up a jar of Cajun seasoning at the grocery store, making your own is even better. It will stay fresh in your spice cabinet for six months or more, so you can always have it on hand ready to use. Making your own homemade spice blends allows you to adjust the salt and spice levels to your tastes. You probably already have everything you need, and it takes just a few minutes to make.
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients
This Cajun seasoning is made with spices and seasonings that you probably have in your spice cabinet. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Paprika: I prefer to use sweet paprika in this recipe because its milder flavor goes well with the other spices in this flavorful seasoning blend. If you’d like an extra smoky, spicy flavor, you can use smoked paprika in place of all or some of the sweet paprika.
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Oregano
- Onion Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Salt & Black Pepper: You can adjust the amount of salt to your tastes.
- Cayenne Pepper: You can adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to make your seasoning more or less spicy. The recipe calls for 1 teaspoon, which will give you a pretty spicy seasoning. I used 1/2 teaspoon in my seasoning to make it mildly spicy.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
Making this Cajun seasoning couldn’t be easier. Start by adding all of the ingredients to a small bowl. Then whisk until well combined. That’s it!
Ways to Use Cajun Seasoning
This seasoning mix is so versatile! Here are a few ways to use it:
- Make this creamy one pot Cajun Chicken Pasta.
- Use it as a seasoning for chicken. Try it on Baked Chicken Breast, Air Fryer Chicken Breast or Grilled Chicken Thighs.
- Use it to make Cajun shrimp. I use a variation of this seasoning in my Air Fryer Shrimp recipe.
- Season Baked French Fries to make flavorful Cajun fries.
- It’s a delicious seasoning for Roasted Cauliflower. Sprinkle it over the cauliflower before baking.
How to Store
Cajun seasoning may be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for at least 6 months. It may last even longer than that, but the spices can start to lose their flavor over time. I store all of my homemade seasonings in my spice drawer. Keep it in a small jar with a lid, mason jar, or even a small zip-top bag.
More Homemade Seasonings
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste, see note below)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Seasoning can be used immediately or stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 6 months.
- Using 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper will make the seasoning moderately spicy. If you want it mildly spicy, use 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. For very spicy seasoning, you can use more than 1 teaspoon of cayenne.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!