One Pot Creamy Asparagus Chicken Pasta + Video
NEW! Slow Cooker Freezer Meal Plan now available!
This One Pot Creamy Asparagus Chicken Pasta is an easy one pan meal with light and bright flavors for Spring. With a step by step how to recipe video!
Are you tired of hearing about the one pot meal yet? Never, you say? I thought so. The quick and easy meal will never go out of style, in my house at least! I’ll never get tired of meals that dirty less pots and pans either. I love to cook, but washing dishes? Not so much.
A few of my other favorite one pan meals are: One Pot Spanish Chickpea Chicken, Sheet Pan Lemon Garlic Salmon and Asparagus, and 5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage. You know, just in case you need more dinner inspiration. 😉
Another perk to one pot cooking is that, since everything cooks together in one pot, the flavors have plenty of time to meld together. Take this One Pot Creamy Asparagus Chicken Pasta, for example. The pasta cooks in the same skillet where you browned the chicken. And the chicken continues to cook with the pasta, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes in a mixture of chicken broth and water. What does this all mean? TONS of flavor mixin’ is happening in this dish. Oh yeah.
Once it’s all cooked through, you’ll finish the dish off with some freshly grated Parmesan, lemon zest, and a touch of cream. Give it all a good stir and everything sort of melts together and absorbs the creamy sauce. The bright lemon is a perfect complement to the creamy pasta and fresh asparagus.
Asparagus is one of my favorite Spring vegetables, and it pairs really well with the subtle lemon flavor in this One Pot Creamy Asparagus Chicken Pasta. If asparagus is not your thing, broccoli, broccolini, zucchini, or even bell peppers would be great substitutes.
We loved this pasta skillet with the chicken, but it could also be a quick meatless meal. Add in a few different types and colors of your favorite vegetables to give lots of flavor and nutrition. If you’re going the meatless route, I’d first cook the veggies in the skillet (in place of the chicken in the recipe), then take the veggies out while the pasta cooks and add them back in once the pasta is done. That way, your vegetables will have a chance to brown a bit and be cooked just right.
Here’s my how-to recipe video:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup half and half (or heavy cream)
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken, stirring often, until lightly browned (be careful not to over-cook, as chicken will continue to cook with the pasta). Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, pasta, chicken broth, and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the asparagus, cover, and cook 3 minutes more, until pasta is al dente. Uncover and cook at a low simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the half and half (or cream), Parmesan, and lemon zest. Enjoy!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!