5 Ingredient One Pot Sausage Pasta
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
A short ingredient list and dinner is ready in 30 minutes?! It’s no wonder this easy sausage pasta recipe is a family favorite!
Years ago, before I had kids, I thought nothing of making a multi-course dinner, complete with homemade dinner rolls and fancy side dishes. Now? I’m all about the easy recipes that I can throw together as quickly as possible! Between work, homework, and the kids’ activities, time is a precious resource. If you’re feeling the hustle of everyday life as well, let me introduce you to one of my favorite easy dinner recipes: One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage, made with only FIVE ingredients.
A few delicious examples of easy one pot dinners include Baked Ziti and this Lasagna Soup. If you have an Instant Pot, Instant Pot Spaghetti is our family favorite. I also have an Instant Pot Pasta Recipe that’s similar to this pasta.
Let me tell you about this sausage pasta recipe. With just 5 ingredients, we have multiple food groups covered. We’re adding bell peppers and tomato sauce for veggies. Italian chicken sausage for lean protein. And whole wheat pasta fuels our bodies with whole grains. There’s even cheese for dairy (calcium!) and added protein. You knew I could pass cheese off as healthy, didn’t you? 😉
Be sure to use your favorite, good quality marinara sauce in this recipe. Since the pasta cooks in the skillet with the sauce, it absorbs some of the sauce and it’s flavor along with it. I like to check the nutrition label to make sure my pasta sauce is made with minimal, recognizable ingredients. I also look for one without added sugar. While homemade pasta sauce is best, there are some healthy store-bought options that can save time on busy days.
5 Ingredient Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 25 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray. Remove sausage from casings and add to the skillet. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, chop bell pepper into small pieces. Add the bell pepper to the skillet with the sausage and cook for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the pasta and marinara to the skillet. Fill the marinara sauce jar almost to the top with water and pour the water into the skillet as well. Stir.
- Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender. Stir the pasta every 5 minutes or so to help it cook evenly.
- Sprinkle with the grated Mozzarella cheese. Place skillet in oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!