5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage
A short ingredient list and dinner is ready in 30 minutes?! It’s no wonder this easy 5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage is a family favorite!
Years ago, before I had kids, I thought nothing of making a multi-course dinner, complete with homemade rolls and fancy side dishes. Now? I’m all about the easy recipes that I can throw together as quickly as possible! Between work, homework, and the kids’ activities, time is a precious resource.
Speaking of kids, I look forward to the day when Julia is old enough to cook the family a meal all by herself. Or at least a batch of muffins. 🙂
If you’re feeling the hustle of everyday life as well, let me introduce you to one of my favorite easy dinner recipes: 5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage.
Yes, other than my slow cooker, my large skillet is my favorite kitchen tool for getting dinner on the table with minimal effort. One pot meals. They can’t be beat! (This One Pot Lasagna Soup is another fabulous one pot pasta recipe!)
Let me tell you about this 5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta with Chicken Sausage. With just 5 ingredients, we have multiple food groups covered. We’re adding bell peppers and tomato sauce for veggies. Italian chicken sausage for lean protein. And whole wheat pasta fuels our bodies with whole grains. There’s even cheese for dairy (calcium!) and added protein. You knew I could pass cheese off as healthy, didn’t you? 😉
Be sure to use your favorite, good quality marinara sauce in this recipe. Since the pasta cooks in the skillet with the sauce, it absorbs some of the sauce and it’s flavor along with it. I like to check the nutrition label to make sure my pasta sauce is made with minimal, recognizable ingredients. I also look for one without added sugar. While homemade is best, there are some healthy store-bought options that can save time on busy days.
Today is 30 Minute Thursday, so not only do you get this easy 5 Ingredient One Pot Pasta recipe, but you also get eight more 30 minute recipes from some of my favorite bloggers! I always save these recipes to my Easy Dinner Recipes Pinterest board for future reference.
Turkey, Apple & Brie Panini by Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Kale and Quinoa Salad Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Apples and Pecans by Floating Kitchen
Cheeseburger Macaroni: 30 Minute Thursday by My Kitchen Craze
Mediterranean Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner by Sweet Peas & Saffron
One Pot Turkey Mushroom Tortellini by Bake.Eat.Repeat
One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Zoodles by Life Made Sweeter
One-Pot Basil Sausage Caprese Pasta by Whole and Heavenly Oven
One Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Bacon Pasta by Savory Nothings
- 1 pound mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 bell pepper, any color
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 25 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat and lightly spray with cooking spray. Remove sausage from casings and add to the skillet. Cook sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, chop bell pepper into small pieces. Add the bell pepper to the skillet with the sausage and cook for 2 minutes to soften.
- Add the pasta and marinara to the skillet. Fill the marinara sauce jar almost to the top with water and pour the water into the skillet as well. Stir.
- Bring to a low simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender. Stir the pasta every 5 minutes or so to help it cook evenly.
- Sprinkle with the grated Mozzarella cheese. Place skillet in oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese, if desired. Enjoy!
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!