Simple Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
The best healthy crockpot chicken fajitas recipe! This simple fajita recipe has tender, juicy chicken and lots of flavor. Your family will love this easy slow cooker meal!
Chicken fajitas are one of my favorite meals to order at a Mexican restaurant. It’s hard to beat a plate of sizzling chicken, peppers and onions served with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings. My grilled chicken fajitas are another my favorite quick and easy dinner recipes.
With these slow cooker chicken fajitas, you can have fajitas at home with just a few minutes of prep time. Since the chicken cooks low and slow in the seasonings in the crockpot, there is no need to marinate it before hand.
These crockpot chicken fajitas are one of my family’s favorite healthy crockpot meals. They’re easy enough for a weeknight dinner and delicious enough to serve to company.
If you have a few extra minutes to spend in the kitchen, try my flour tortilla recipe. You just can’t beat warm homemade tortillas to serve with chicken fajitas!
How do you make simple chicken fajitas?
Fajitas may sound fancy, but they are really simple to make. You’ll start with just a few ingredients: chicken breasts, bell peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings. Put it all in your crockpot and let your slow cooker do the cooking for you!
How do you cook fajitas in a slow cooker?
To cook fajitas in your slow cooker, you first add chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker. You don’t need to slice the chicken before cooking. Then, add 1/4 cup of water or chicken broth.
These crockpot chicken fajitas are seasoned with garlic, chili powder, paprika, salt, pepper and a little bit of honey. The honey adds a subtle sweetness that is so good with the spice from the chili powder.
You’ll place sliced bell peppers and onion on top of the chicken. Placing the vegetables on top keeps them from getting overly soggy as they cook. If you want firmer veggies, wait and add them during the last hour of the cooking time. I added my vegetables from the beginning and they were soft, but still very tasty.
Cook crockpot chicken fajitas on your slow cooker’s low setting for 3-4 hours or the high setting for 2 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. Be careful to not overcook the chicken or it may dry out.
After the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing or shredding. This rest time helps the juices to be reabsorbed so that the chicken is extra moist.
While the chicken rests, stir some fresh lime juice into the juices in the slow cooker. You want to wait and add the lime juice after the fajitas cook so that it adds a bright, fresh flavor.
Serve your crockpot chicken fajitas in warmed tortillas with your favorite fajita toppings. We love these with avocado, shredded cheese and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
Freezer to crockpot chicken fajitas
You can make this healthy crockpot recipe a freezer meal. You’ll freeze the raw ingredients, and then cook the chicken fajitas in your slow cooker when you need a quick prep dinner.
Add all of the fajita ingredients except for the lime juice to a zip-top bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Then thaw and cook in your slow cooker as directed in the recipe. So easy!
Tips for making crock pot chicken fajitas
- If you want the bell peppers to be firmer rather than soft, wait and add them to the slow cooker during the last hour of cooking.
- You can either slice or shred the cooked chicken, depending on your preferences.
- Wait and stir in the lime juice at the end, after everything cooks.
More Crockpot Chicken Recipes:
- 14+ Easy Crockpot Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup water or chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced into strips
- 1 yellow or red onion, cut into slices
- juice of 1 lime
- flour tortillas
- shredded cheese
- plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Add the water or broth, garlic, honey, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Place the bell peppers (see note) and onions on top of the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours, until chicken is cooked through. Chicken should register at least 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir the lime juice into the slow cooker.
- Slice or shred the chicken and return it to the crock pot. Serve chicken, bell peppers and onions in warmed tortillas with toppings as desired.
- Place bell peppers and onions in the bottom of a heavy duty zip-top freezer bag. Add the water or broth, garlic, honey, chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bag. Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
- When you are ready to cook the crockpot chicken fajitas, thaw for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Transfer contents of freezer bag to slow cooker. Cook as directed above.
I was thinking about combining your portobello mushroom and chicken fajita recipe ideas. Have you added portobellos to the crockpot with the chicken fajita ingredients? Thanks!
Any tips to make this in instant pot?
I haven’t tested this recipe in the Instant Pot, but here’s what I would try. Increase the water to 1/2 cup and combine that with the other seasonings (except the lime juice) in the Instant Pot. Put the chicken breasts in the IP, with the peppers and onions on top. Pressure cook at high pressure for 11 minutes, then quick release the pressure. Check that the chicken has reached 165 degrees F, then slice the chicken. Serve the chicken and veggies with a squeeze of lime juice, in tortillas as desired.