Easy Cherry Crumble Cobbler Recipe + Video
An Easy Cherry Cobbler Crumble Recipe for a healthier dessert that’s bursting with fresh summer fruit! With a whole grain oat crust and crisp topping that’s so good you won’t believe it’s refined sugar free! Plus a step by step how to recipe video.
If you find yourself with an overabundance of cherries (or any summer fruit, for that matter), this easy healthier crumble recipe is here to save the day! One bite and you’ll be hooked – you won’t want to make your summer fruit crisps any other way!
Last weekend the kids and I went to the farmer’s market and bought a huge bag of cherries. The kids helped me pick out the cherries and put them into the bag, which led to… lots of cherries!
I asked in our Facebook group (join here!) for suggestions of what to do with those cherries, and a few of you left some really good ideas. I decided to make this Easy Cherry Cobbler Crumble Recipe because a good fruit crumble recipe is a necessity in the summer months. Especially if it’s loaded with maple oat crisp topping!
When I took my first bite of this cherry pie cobbler, I couldn’t believe how good it was. When healthier desserts taste this good, you won’t miss the extra sugar one bit!
I didn’t add any sweetener to my cherry filling, because the cherries were plenty sweet on their own. The oat crumbles double as both a bottom crust and a crisp topping. It’s made with just 5 ingredients: oats, whole wheat flour, salt, butter, and pure maple syrup. Combine that with the cherry filling and you’ll need only 7 ingredients in total to make this easy recipe.
I use my cherry pitter to make the process of pitting the cherries really fast and easy. If you don’t have one, it’s definitely worth the small price tag. We use ours constantly in the summer! You can watch the recipe video below to see how easy it is to use.
This crumble recipe is going to come in handy for summer potlucks and BBQs in the coming months. Since it’s so easy to make (see the video below), you can prep it in no time. Everyone will love this fresh fruit dessert!
This recipe would work well with many summer fruits. I want to try making it with strawberries and peaches next. If you love summer fruit desserts be sure to also check out my Strawberry Oat Crumb Bars and Healthier Fresh Apricot Crisp!
Easy Cherry Pie Crumble Recipe + Video
For the cherry filling:
- 2 pounds fresh cherries pitted and quartered (6-7 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
For the crust and topping:
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed 1 stick, cold
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place cherries and cornstarch in a bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, whole wheat flour and salt. Add the butter and use your fingertips to work the butter into the oat mixture until it begins to clump together and the butter pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in the maple syrup.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, using your hands to press it down evenly. Top with cherries. Crumble on the other half of the oat topping.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until topping is lightly golden. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Store extra crumble in the refrigerator.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!