Healthy Chocolate Chip Waffles
A healthier waffle that the whole family will get excited about. These Healthy Chocolate Chip Waffles are so good on their own, you don’t even need maple syrup! (But I won’t tell if you drizzle some on anyways.)
Some mornings, it’s harder to get out of bed than others. For me, and for my kids. But I have a little secret that’s guaranteed to help my little ones hop right out of bed and get dressed in a flash: chocolate chip waffles. Once they hear that chocolate chip waffles are on the breakfast menu, their whole attitude changes. You know what? These Healthy Chocolate Chip Waffles totally lure me out of bed too.
Do I really feed my kids chocolate for breakfast? Sure do. Just think of all of the antioxidants. 😉 Plus, these are Healthy Chocolate Chip Waffles. Just the fact that they’re homemade makes them a million times better than any frozen waffle you’ll find at the store. (And yes, even I rely on those from time to time. We do what we gotta do to get breakfast on the table and eaten, right?) But more importantly, these waffles are made with white whole-wheat flour and the whole batch contains a mere one tablespoon of pure maple syrup as sweetener.
I often make a big batch of these Healthy Chocolate Chip Waffles on a weekend morning, and freeze the leftovers in a zip-top bag for weekday breakfasts. Frozen homemade waffles = just as convenient as the ones from the grocery store frozen food section.
Valentine’s Day is coming up. Wouldn’t your Valentine love to wake up to these Healthy Chocolate Chip Waffles? I have four Valentines this year – Brad plus three little ones. (Squeee! I just can’t get over the fact that I can say that now!) I’ll be making these waffles for all of my Valentines, except the tiniest of course. She’ll have to wait a while for her chocolate chip waffle.
- 1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled slightly
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, milk, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk in the melted butter until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk or stir until just combined. Set aside for 10-15 minutes while the waffle iron preheats.
- Once waffle iron is heated, stir mini chocolate chips into the waffle batter. Lightly spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve immediately or keep warm in a 200 degree oven while you cook the rest of the waffles; serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!