Best Zucchini Bread
FREE GROUND BEEF FOR LIFE when you order your first ButcherBox today. Claim Now.
An easy healthy zucchini bread made with wholesome ingredients and two full cups of zucchini. This zucchini bread recipe is moist, delicious and has just the right spice, you’ll want to go back for a second slice!
Wondering what to do with all of those summer zucchini? They’ll disappear pretty quickly once you try this healthy zucchini bread recipe. I’ve been baking loaf after loaf of this zucchini bread. I just can’t get enough of it! Out of all of my zucchini recipes, this one is my favorite! Also try my Healthy Banana Bread Recipe.
This zucchini bread is great for breakfast, a snack or a lunchbox treat. You can add nuts or leave them out. My kids always want chocolate zucchini bread so we mix in a few chocolate chips. I think it’s perfect without the added chocolate, although I’ll never turn down a slice of chocolate chip zucchini bread. 😉
Why this is the best healthy zucchini bread
- The batter is mixed in one bowl, so it’s simple to make and easy to clean up.
- Cinnamon and nutmeg add a delicious spice to this quick bread. Your kitchen will smell so good while this zucchini bread bakes!
- It’s lower in sugar and free of refined sugars. One half cup of honey or pure maple syrup makes this bread moist with just the right amount of sweetness. This is not your overly sweet quick bread recipe with one cup plus of white sugar.
- This healthy zucchini bread recipe has two full cups of shredded zucchini, but trust me, this bread doesn’t have a strong zucchini flavor. The zucchini helps to keep the bread moist, plus it adds fiber and other nutrients.
- There are lots of ways to customize this recipe – see the tips section below!
How to make zucchini bread
Making this quick zucchini bread recipe is simple. You’ll start by grating your zucchini. A box grater is the easiest way to do this. Wrap the shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and give it a good squeeze to get out any excess moisture. This will prevent your zucchini bread from being soggy.
Next, you’ll mix up the wet ingredients in a large bowl. This healthy zucchini bread is made with applesauce. When you bake with applesauce, you can use less butter or oil and your bread will turn out soft and moist.
Once the wet ingredients are well mixed, you’ll sprinkle on the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. You will want to mix these in really well with your whisk. You don’t want any big clumps of spice or baking powder in your bread.
Finally, fold in the flour and nuts, if using. Be sure to mix until the flour is just combined to keep your bread soft and tender. I make this recipe with white whole wheat flour because it’s whole grain yet lighter than regular whole wheat flour which you could also use in this recipe. Of course, you can use all purpose flour if that’s what you have in your kitchen.
I recommend both greasing and flouring your loaf pan before pouring in the batter. When you don’t flour the loaf pan this bread tends to stick on the bottom.
Tips for making the best healthy zucchini bread
- You can make dairy-free zucchini bread by using coconut oil rather than butter and by using non-dairy milk.
- To make nut-free zucchini bread, omit the nuts and use a milk that isn’t nut-based.
- Either honey or pure maple syrup can be used to sweeten the bread.
- So many of you love my carrot cake breakfast cookies and carrot cake pancakes… you might want to try adding some shredded carrot to this healthy zucchini bread. Chopped or grated apple would also be really good in this bread.
- You can replace the applesauce with mashed banana to make banana zucchini bread. This is a great option when you don’t know what to do with those over-ripe bananas on your counter!
Other healthy zucchini recipes:
- Zucchini Breakfast Cookies
- Zucchini Bread Pancakes with Maple Cream Cheese from Recipe Runner
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins
Healthy Zucchini Bread
- 2 cups grated zucchini from 1 large zucchini
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed ripe banana
- ½ cup honey or pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup milk whichever kind you prefer
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan well with cooking spray and lightly flour the pan.
- Wrap the shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture. Set aside.
- Place the butter (or coconut oil) in a large bowl and melt in the microwave. Let cool slightly if very hot. Add the applesauce, honey or maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Whisk until well combined. Whisk in the eggs.
- Sprinkle on the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the white whole wheat flour and mix with a rubber spatula until almost combined. Gently fold in the zucchini and nuts (if using), being careful to not over-mix.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour, until a tester inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To store zucchini bread, wrap airtight and store at room temperature for up to 3 days, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!