Instant Pot Brown Rice
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
Instant Pot brown rice is a hands off way to cook fluffy brown rice! This easy pressure cooker rice recipe helps to simplify dinner prep!
I have another simple Instant Pot recipe for you today!
If you usually cook your brown rice on the stove, you are going to fall in love with this foolproof Instant Pot rice. I don’t know about you, but whenever I cook rice on the stove I always end up with a mess. The rice bubbles over onto my stove or it ends up overcooked because I’ve gotten distracted.
Moms, can you relate? Cooking while taking care of kids is a careful juggling act. This no fail pressure cooker rice will get you one step closer to putting a wholesome dinner on your table!
This Instant Pot Brown Rice
- is a hands off way to cook rice – no babysitting a pot on the stove!
- makes the best fluffy brown rice.
- takes less than 5 minutes of active prep time.
Water to Rice Ratio
When cooking rice in your Instant Pot you want to measure carefully. The water to rice ratio needs to be precise so that your rice turns out perfect every time. I use 2 cups rice and 2 1/2 cups water.
If you prefer to cook your rice in chicken broth or vegetable broth, you may use 2 1/2 cups of broth in place of the water. I recommend buying a reduced sodium broth to keep the sodium content of your rice lower.
Can You Meal Prep Rice
You can meal prep rice, but you need to take certain precautions for food safety. Uncooked rice can be contaminated with a bacteria that can survive the cooking process. If cooked rice is left to sit at room temperature, the bacteria may multiply.
It’s best to eat cooked rice right away after cooking. If you need to cook it ahead of time, cool it quickly by laying it out in a thin layer. Refrigerate rice as soon as possible after cooking (within an hour). Use cooked rice within 2 days and reheat it until steaming hot before serving.
How to Cook Instant Pot Brown Rice
First, rinse your rice under cool water to remove excess starch. Place the drained rice into your Instant Pot.
You can toast your rice before cooking it to add flavor. To do this, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to your Instant Pot along with the rice, before adding the liquid. Turn on the saute mode and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot and continue with the recipe.
Add the water (or broth) and stir gently to combine. Make sure that all of the rice is in the water and not stuck on the sides of the pot.
You can season your rice before or after cooking. You may add salt, chopped onion, dried herbs or other seasonings to the rice and water mixture before cooking so that the rice absorbs the flavors.
You can also season your brown rice to taste after cooking. Try mixing in fresh herbs, chopped onion or chopped vegetables.
This brown rice recipe is easily adaptable for any flavor of rice that you like.
Brown rice is also delicious in stuffed peppers and you can cook them together for an easy meal with my Instant Pot Stuffed Peppers.
Try my other basic Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Easy Peel Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot White Rice
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot Pinto Beans
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- Place rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water. Drain well.
- Pour the rice into your Instant Pot. Add the water and stir to combine. Make sure that all of the rice is in the water and that no grains of rice are on the sides of the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the steam valve to the sealing position.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook (manual) at high pressure for 22 minutes.
- When it beeps to let you know that the cook time has finished, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes (just leave the Instant Pot alone).
- After the 10 minute natural release, carefully turn the steam valve to the venting position. I like to use the handle of a long spoon to do this. Wait while the rest of the steam escapes. Once the pin has dropped down, carefully open the Instant Pot lid.
- Fluff rice and serve.
This site contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting Kristine's Kitchen!