See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This Burrito Bowl is loaded with flavor and so satisfying. Perfect for lunch, dinner or meal prep, this delicious recipe is my take on the popular Chipotle burrito bowl.
Like this recipe? Pin it to Pinterest!
A burrito bowl is all of your favorite burrito fillings, served in a bowl and topped with a fresh salsa, guacamole and sour cream. It’s just as satisfying and delicious as a burrito, but a bit healthier because we’re swapping the tortilla for a crisp bed of lettuce. It’s a favorite item on the Chipotle menu, but today we’re skipping the takeout because homemade is always better!
This chicken burrito bowl recipe features seasoned grilled chicken, Cilantro Lime Rice, beans and corn. I love adding Pico de Gallo, a fresh chunky salsa made with tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. This burrito bowl recipe has a winning combination of ingredients, guaranteed to make your taste buds happy!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Flavor! From the cilantro lime rice and pico de gallo to the seasoned chicken and guacamole, this meal is packed with delicious flavors.
- Healthy: This recipe has protein, healthy fats and fiber to keep you full for hours. Making a burrito bowl at home also means that you can control the ingredients you use, for a fresher, healthier meal.
- Meal Prep Option: The burrito bowl components can be prepped ahead of time, making this a great option for meal prep lunches or dinners.
Burrito Bowl Ingredients
- Cilantro Lime Rice: I’ve included my easy cilantro lime rice recipe in the recipe card below. It’s so much more flavorful than plain rice, and even better than Chipotle’s!
- Chicken: The chicken is seasoned with a spice rub and then grilled. It turns out so flavorful! You can cook it on an outdoor grill or indoors on a grill pan. No grill? Bake the chicken in the oven or cook it in the air fryer. See this Baked Chicken Breast recipe or Air Fryer Chicken Breast for cook times.
- Pico de Gallo: I’ve included a simplified version of my homemade Pico de Gallo recipe in the recipe card below, or use store-bought pico or salsa to save time.
- Black Beans: A great source of vegetarian protein.
- Corn: Brings flavor and color. I like to use canned corn to save time. If you’re cooking corn on the cob, you can cook extra to make these burrito bowls the next day.
- Lettuce: Crisp romaine lettuce adds a nice cool crunch, and helps to bulk up the burrito bowls.
- Avocado or Guacamole: Both work great here!
You may also wish to add sour cream or a spoonful of plain Greek yogurt and a squeeze of lime juice to your burrito bowl. The best part about this recipe is that it is so customizable, and everyone can build their bowl just the way they like it.
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
First, make the pico de gallo. Combine the diced tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt (to taste) in a medium bowl.
Then, make the cilantro lime rice. Toast the garlic and rice for a few minutes, then add the water. Bring to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat down to very low. Simmer for 15 minutes, let it rest for 10, and then stir in the lime zest, lime juice, fresh cilantro and salt.
While the rice cooks, grill the chicken. Pound the chicken to an even 1/2-inch thickness. This tenderizes the meat and promotes even cooking. Then rub the seasonings all over the chicken and grill until cooked through. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Finally, assemble the burrito bowls. To each bowl, add lettuce, cilantro lime rice, chicken, pico de gallo, black beans, corn and guacamole or avocado. Dollop on a spoonful of sour cream, if desired, and enjoy!
Burrito Bowl Recipe Variations
- If you don’t have time to make pico de gallo, you can use store-bought or substitute chopped tomatoes for a quick and easy alternative.
- Instead of cilantro lime rice, you can use plain white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice for a low carb option. Or you can omit the rice and bulk up the bowl with additional lettuce.
- Make it vegetarian by swapping fajita veggies (sautéed bell peppers and onions) for the chicken.
- Add shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey jack cheese.
- Swap marinated fajita chicken or cilantro lime chicken for the grilled chicken.
- Use grilled steak or ground beef taco meat instead of chicken.
- Use pinto beans instead of black beans.
How to Meal Prep Burrito Bowls
Burrito bowls are perfect for meal prep! I recommend storing the components separately and then assembling the bowls right before serving to keep everything fresh. The grilled chicken, rice and pico de gallo will stay fresh for about 3 days stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator. You can reheat the ingredients in the microwave, as desired.
More Tex-Mex Recipes
Pico de Gallo*
- ¾ pound ripe red tomatoes (plum/roma), 2-3 tomatoes, diced small*
- ⅓ cup finely chopped white onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, tough stems discarded
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ cups water
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, from 1 lime
- ⅔ cup chopped fresh cilantro, tough stems discarded
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced; or guacamole
- sour cream, lime wedges, optional, for serving
- Make the Pico de Gallo: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; stir. Set aside.
- Make the Cilantro Lime Rice: Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and rice and toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the water and bring to a simmer. As soon as the pot comes to a simmer, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook at a very slow simmer without lifting the lid for 15 minutes. Then remove the pot from the heat and let the rice rest for 10 minutes with the lid on. Fluff the rice; stir in the lime zest, lime juice, cilantro and salt.
- Prepare the Chicken: Meanwhile, combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir or whisk to mix.
- Place the chicken breasts in a zip-top bag or between two sheets of parchment paper and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them to an even ½-inch thickness. Rub the seasoning mixture over all sides of the chicken breasts.
- Grill chicken on an outdoor grill or oiled grill pan over medium to medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes and then chop into bite size pieces.
- Assemble the Burrito Bowls: Divide the lettuce evenly between 4 bowls (or meal prep containers). To each bowl, add cilantro lime rice, chicken, pico de gallo, black beans, corn, and avocado or guacamole.
- To save time, instead of making homemade pico de gallo, you can use store-bought pico de gallo or salsa.
- When making pico de gallo, remove the core, seeds and juice from the tomatoes so that they don’t water down pico de gallo.
- These burrito bowls are perfect for meal prep. The grilled chicken, rice and pico de gallo will stay fresh for about 3 days stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator. You can also prep the lettuce, black beans and corn and store in the refrigerator. I recommend assembling the bowls right before serving to keep everything fresh.